Please advise

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am feeling pretty rubbish. I have woken every morning in early hours with anxiety for the 8 weeks I have been on Prozac. Admittedly I am finding that I am not having full blown panic attacks now. I also feel slightly better as the day goes on but dread going to bed. I feel dizzy and so tired All the official guidelines say I should be better in 4-6 weeks. I am too scared to increase dosage from 20mg because of the side effects, scared to give up cos I want to get better. Am posting everywhere on this site as I really need some hope. Thanks so much 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

it takes around 12 weeks to take effect (it did for me and a lot of others)it is hard but keep with it, you have too trust your meds
  • Posted

HIya caz.. the guidelines are just there as a avage what should be..

But it’s way out to be honest, even some docs will say that as they are only reading from the book. Not what is in the real life..

If your lucky to see a improvement b4 10/12 weeks then your very lucky..

I was like you scared of going up as I didn’t want any more side effects, but 20 mg was not working for ME, so rather then sit there wondering when I will in prove, I went for it, and FOR ME the side effects were not like when I first started on Prozac, and after one week on 40mg things were a lot better, and I felt better, so I then went up to 60mg and have never looked back since, I feel good every day, I don’t have to sit there thinking what tomorrow will be like, as it’s good every day.. ( but that’s me) 

While your sitting around waiting for 20mg to work, and still feel crap, I don’t see why not to go up, as you can always come back down, if you don’t try you will never know..

But as Iv always said each of us are different so what works for one person won’t for another...

Prozac is just so slow to kick in, but do what you think is best for YOU 🤔

Good luk on what you do, and I hope you start to feel good soon 🤗x

• Posted

Hi Caz , I've been on increase fro 40 to 60/mg Prozac for about 12 weeks now , first month terrible anxiety, by 5/6 weeks started feeling better !! Had a blippy week last week , somaybe extra dose still kicking in, but I feel better today!! My advice , increase your dosage with gp approval of course!! Keep chatting on this forum for support hun , good luck xxxxxxx

• Posted

Caz, 

My Dr says the 4-6 weeks isn’t realistic, and it’s only because the studies they did were from 4-6 weeks otherwise they would have to pay each person more money to keep the study going longer.  Please give it 12 weeks time.  I trust my Dr, he is the best one I’ve seen.  

I finally see definite improvement in week 11.  I haven’t had to take a Xanax in 3 days, I’m shocked myself.  I was having to take them every day to get through the anxiety.  Hang in there.

• Posted

Oh I forgot to also say when I went from 20-40, I didn’t really see a worsening of side effects.  Check with Dr, but my opinion is to go to 40, I don’t think 20 will be enough.  I’m on 40, Dr wants me on 80 eventually.
  • Posted

Hi caz I’m much the same extreme fatigue aches and pains I’m on 40 for 5 weeks I’ll see how it goes but would be happy to increase if it does the job good luck chic 
  • Posted

Thanks everyone, am in bed now telling myself that I won’t always feel bad. I am seeing doctor on Tuesday and if she recommends going up to 40mg then I will.  I take strength from you all who have been through it. Thanks so much x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.