Please advise about final step

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi , I've been on 40mg for 4-5 years and decided to get off it now time is right. Cut down to 20 mg for 29 days, endless weird dreams, one stressy day but otherwise pretty good. One "head zap" along the way and one day with a slight headache.

Now been on 10mg for 8 days and following similar pattern, dreams that had got less on 20mg back to nightly weird dreams, very slight headache one day but otherwise seems to be going pretty well- touch wood.

What I was wondering is , if things continue ok for next 3 weeks will it be ok to do the cold turkey bit? I'm not keen on doing the alternate day thing as that seems to suggest an up/down mood swing with a shelf life of 36 hours.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If I were you Carol I would take it down to 10mg for a month and knock them on the head.you have done 8 days so not long now.
    • Posted

Hi Ian

Thank you for the reply. I hoped someone would say that! I just wasn't sure if it was too big a leap. I can't wait to be off the stuff but I shall be counting down the next 3 weeks

• Posted

Hi carol

First of all well done for doing so well this far! From personal experience I couldn't go cold turkey even from 10. I went to 7.5 for a week or so, then 5, 2.5 etc. it will be such a shock to your system and you don't want negative side effects to weaken your courageous progress. Again just speaking from personal experience. I've been off cit now for about 3 months, had tiny ups and downs and 1 major down but apart from that I think the years I was on it have taught me to cope.

Good luck! X

• Posted

Hi Holly T.  Just wondering how you manage to get 7.5mg and 2.5 etc.  I have 20mg and 10 mg tablets.  The 20mg are easier to cut as they have a line across them, but that just gives me more 10mg.  I have tried a pill cutter but not very successful, everything just seems to crumble.  Again tried with a knife and just get a mess!!  I am on 10mg alternate days now.  My doctor said to go to one 10mg every 2 days, and then one every three.  But from what I read here that does not seem to be the recommended route?
    • Posted

Hi MP1a

I used a stanley knife with the rounded 10mg pills and didn't find that too difficult. Some 2.5 cuts were bigger/smaller but I figured on such a small dose it didn't matter too much. I hope that helps! I personally didn't want to listen to my doctor because I was on Cit years ago as well and when I weaned off her way it was very difficult, lots of spaced out moments, heightened anxiety etc. This was the more comfortable route, for me personally

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Holly

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Pleased to hear you have managed to come off it now. Nice and slowly was obviously the right way for you.

• Posted

Wonderful that you have made a major decision with a time line and all is going to plan.

My concern is why at the last hurdle are you procrastinating, when you have come so far?

Good luck with your progress!

• Posted

Hi Diane

I think the procrastination has come from reading other people's experiences on here LOL and not wanting to encounter problems uneccessarily. I am more than happy to give the cold turley a go in 3 weeks time and feel confident in coping so perhaps I should just quit the research part !

• Posted

Hi Carol

We are all different - we know that.  Sometimes listening to someone elses stories can change our mind-set.  I came off it years ago, and didn't realise (how daft), I ended up needing it again!  If i am on it for life, which i won't be - I will trust my own judgment.

Going back to your endeavour, which is truly great - what about even going every other day, then every two days.  You have been monitoring how you feel, from that alone, you will recognise what is not your usual behaviour, and can take action. 

Eventually you will be on such a low dosage, you will probably forget to take them anyway?

Don't let me put you off research.  It is important to you taking the last step.  Good luck, proud of you.

• Posted

Hi Diane

Thanks I will keep on track and make a decision at the time. I find it is helpful to note moods and things so you know if it is the pills to blame so to speak. I'm also trying to increase the activity levels and off to the gym this eveningcheesygrin

• Posted

Just an update- I went ok from 40 to 20 for a month and then down to 10 for a fortnight and I could tell the withdrawal effects were settling so I decided I didn't want to wait for the rest of the month and would try the cold turkey approach. This day 2 and I've been awake all day and busy all day so much less fatigue than I have had in the last 3 years. The fingers are less stiff today but I realise that may be a coincidence as early days.

I had the stressy long dreams this morning and yesterday but I did when I dropped from 40 to 20 and 20 to 10 in the first week.

Long may this energy last- hope it's not a fluke.

• Posted

Day 4 of the cold turkey stance, slightly dizzy yesterday eve and this eve but nothing I can't handle. Energy levels back to normal i.e. pretty low with mid afternoon naps.
  • Posted

Ok so I knew I was tempting fete saying how well it was going after a week of turkey. Got to yesterday with little more than a bit dizzy in the evenings but yesterday had a bad day and felt day dreamy, spaced out and to be honest like I was before going on citalopram. I ended up taking 10mg again last night after 10 days off them. I've had extra high dose of B6 today 300mg per another discussion on here somewhere. So question is from here- is it a good idea to try back to turkey from now on supported by B6 or try perhaps doing 10mg every 2 days and then down to 5mg. Is this 9/10 days a bad time for withdrawal side effects? Comments and suggestions welcome.

By the way I have felt really good again today.

• Posted

I find I have withdrawal side effects everytime I make a change in my dosage.  9/10days is not unusual, often 2 weeks or so.  At least you know they are side effects, if you can grit your teeth and get through it.  Look for the prize at the end!!!  I was doing 10mg every other day, but on reading about it more, I have switched to 5mg every day by cutting up tablets.  (and yes even that slight switch came with side effects), I am steading on that for a bit, before my next decrease. 

It sounds as though you were not completely comfortable going cold turkey, so why not do as you and cut down more gradually.

• Posted

Hi MP1a

Thanks for encouragement. I missed one last night so I think I will have the 10mg again this evening for a while , concentrate on healthy diet and exercise before the next step. Been on them for about 4 years or maybe 5 now so it is not a race to be free from them. Delighted I am now coping on 10mg rather than 40mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.