Please, and I Say Please, Help Me

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've posted this on around 5 different online forums without a reply now. I'm getting hopeless, please, even if it doesn't help, reply, please, for f**k's sake.

TL;DR: Need to convince parents to help me out with my (possible) depression, ideas please?

I'm going to say that I'm fairly young, but I promise I'm not trying to act edgy or put up some act or something.

For a bit less than a month now, I've had this empty feeling of not wanting to do anything and no motivation to do anything. It's just a feeling of not knowing what to do and being unable to cheer up. Feeling a bit worthless too I guess? I can't say I'm sad, just empty and unable to feel emotion. My room hasn't seen the sunlight for 2 weeks now because I'm not in the mood to open the curtains.

I'm also rapidly losing interest in my only "hobby," gaming, and I've also lost the little interest I had in music. Recently, I've also begun to feel emotional pain from time to time. Whenever I think about this whole case, I feel like it's hard to breathe and I kind of get upset.

Now I know that everybody undergoes some stress at some point in their life, which is why I'm asking about this, I'm not sure if this is depression. If anything, I would blame this feeling on my family issues, which I'm not going to speak about, but I do have bad family problems. It's not like I can go to see a psychologist or psychiatrist either, since, again, I'm fairly young and my parents would either get upset with me and tell me that it's nothing and I need to cheer up.

Oh, and I don't have suicidal thoughts of any form. I have a good will to live, but I do feel worthless.

I've done some research and asked some people, and from what I've seen this could be depression, however, I haven't seen a doctor or anything, which is what I need help with.

My mom has noticed a change in my behavior, especially since I've quit gaming which I was so much into, but instead of being concerned she's pressuring me to do other things since she's noticed I spend most time on my phone so she wants me to do something else (I'm actually just daydreaming but I have my phone in my hand so she doesn't worry).

My dad is barely home so he hasn't noticed much change in me but if I did talk to him about it I doubt I'd get anything out of it considering all he talks about is "dataism" or something and artificial intelligence taking over the world.

My only sibling, my little brother, is incredibly toxic and started laughing at me the moment I opened up the topic, so I called it off as a joke.

I would like to distance my friends from this topic as most people my age are very toxic, and the few who I could have a serious talk with would just end up making an awkward atmosphere.

I did talk to my mom a bit about it, and as expected, she called it off saying that what I'm feeling is just boredom and related to lack of sleep or something. I could tell that she was concerned, however, and she tried to spend time with me after I talked about it.

Help me, please, this is seriously affecting my life negatively and I can literally feel the pain increasing.

5 likes, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

Have you considered therapy? I've battled with depression since I was ten. Mine was so severe I dropped out of college. Life does get better. Slowly you will find those things you want to do. Your very young right now. But talking to a therapist or psychologist will greatly help. 

Try going out early in the morning just watching the sunrise and not thinking too much. Go hiking, just keep getting out trying new things. At first it will feel like a chore but you never know what will spark your interest.

I felt numb in 2014 and three years later I have a career that means the world to me. That's how much life can change.

But definitely talk to a therapist as they will provide a safe place for you to discuss your feelings no judgement and help you to get back where you need to be. Trust me I've been where you are. Don't be hard on yourself. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm sorry about your depression, and thanks for replying.

I do want to watch the sunrise and I've actually had that in my mind since I can't sleep and I end up sleeping at 6 or 7, but my parents are quite strict and don't allow that.

Regarding seeing a therapist or psychologist, that's what I'm asking for help with. My mom is calling this off as a normal reaction because I have nothing to do even though I'm telling her it's more than that and I'm actually feeling literal pain, but she won't listen to me.

Thanks anyway smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi ...I'm no Gp so can say if you are suffering from depression. But it does sound as if you need support. Can you go to your Gp? If you feel unable to talk to parents and friends, then your Gp needs to know what is going on in your head. You do sound young, are you in your teens? Regardless of your age, depression, stress, and other mental health disabilities can hit which is why I'm asking you to go to your Gp. They know you, and they will know these symptoms ...sometimes parents struggle to understand these things, after all it's an unseen illness. Do you have an aunt, uncle, friends mum/dad? I'm sorry if my answer is a little prediction but talking to someone really does help. I hope you do this and let us know. I'm happy to chat. Best wishes, Julia 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for replying.

Yes I am in my teens, if you need a more specific age, I'm younger than 15.

Regarding seeing a doctor, that's what I'm asking for help with. My mom is calling this off as a normal reaction because I have nothing to do even though I'm telling her it's more than that and I'm actually feeling literal pain, but she won't listen to me.

I can't talk to a teacher since at my school and the country I live in there isn't much interaction between teachers and students outside of lessons and you wouldn't really talk to a teacher for an issue like this.

For the rest of my family, it's pretty awkward between me and them, the only member apart from my brother and parents I'm able to really talk to about such an issue being my aunt, which wouldn't take me anywhere without my parents' agreement (again, they're calling this off as just a phase which I shouldn't worry about, and would get worried but not take me if they figured out about me asking my aunt for help).

Thanks again.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey

Closing your curtains won't help you. Start opening them up let the sun in. You need Vitamin D. Did you know a lack of it can cause depression amongst other things. Please try to motivate yourself and get help. A therapist. Ignore your little brother he's little he doesn't understand what it is. Depends on the age though. You have depression. It's the same feeling most of us have. We feel empty, no motivation etc. I never open my curtains. Try to tell your mom. If one of your parents can help talk to them privately.👍Or talk to a counselor if you're still in school. Dont let the darkness consume you. That's what I call depression. Motivate yourself and push yourself to do things. Go outside I know it seems dumb but it will help you. Nothing good comes out of staying indoors. Good luck🙌

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for replying.

I'm trying to keep my curtains open, but it feels more..... secure I guess? When I keep them closed. After your note though, I'll definitely keep them open during the day.

Regarding seeing a therapist, that's what I'm asking for help with. My mom is calling this off as a normal reaction because I have nothing to do even though I'm telling her it's more than that and I'm actually feeling literal pain, but she won't listen to me.

Thank you again.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Its depression. For everyone it's different. Some may have it milder or others more extreme. You said you told your mom I'm glad she showed she cared afterwards.👏If you can tell a counselor or a adult you trust from school. Please do. Or try to tell your mom again tell her it's really bothering you and you need help. You're reaching out  thats a good thing. Hope you get  the help you need to feel bettersmile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks a lot for replying.

I can't talk to a teacher since at my school and the country I live in there isn't much interaction between teachers and students outside of lessons and you wouldn't really talk to a teacher for an issue like this.

Yeach, my plan for now is to keep telling my mother about it every once a while until she gets more concerned and I can ask her to take me to a therapist or psychologist or something, but for now if I ask her she'll get upset but not take me anywhere.

Thank you, seriously, simply replying helps.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,if I was you I would talk to your aunt, if she can see how distressed this is making you she will help you,she will be able to speak with your mum and maybe it will be easier if you have your aunt's help for your mum to realise that you have a problem, you have got to talk to someone before you get any worse ,and if they don't listen then you need to ring a helpline don't keep suffering in silence keep on telling people until they listen properly, keep posting on here, there is always someone you can talk to, you can't cope with this on your own, sit your mum down and tell her you need to see a doctor, if she won't listen,ask your aunt to take you. As soon as you tell someone else your mum should realise it's not just a phase, let us know how you get on x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for replying

Yeah, I'm going to talk to my aunt the next chance I get, she's more sensitive than my mother so I think she'll alert her, if things still don't work out then I'll definitely call a helpline.

Thanks again for helping me out.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey, sorry you feel that way. I'm not a doctor so I can't say whether or not you have depression. But it does seem like your stressed out. I know you said your mom isn't taking it seriously. Maybe try talking to her again about it. Talking to a therapist really helps. You also said you're really young. If you're in school you can talk to your school counselor and don't need your mom's permission. After talking to the counselor at school, if she thinks you need further help maybe she or he can convince your mom to set up therapy.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up