Please don’t give up on it

Posted , 19 users are following.

I just want to tell everyone to give this medicine 12 weeks unless you absolutely cannot tolerate the side effects. It takes so long to see improvement, and for many weeks you feel worse.  I felt awful for at least 8-9 weeks, with little improvement.  Now in week 11, I definitely see improvement.  Yesterday I worked half a day, and then went to 2 appointments.  Normally I would have been an angry, irritable mess.  I probably would have canceled something, but I went and after I was like I know this is working because even a few days earlier I would not have been able to do all of that and still feel ok.  So my advice is to please give it 12 weeks before quitting. 

4 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all

I started to feel better after 8 weeks on 20mg but after 12 weeks started to feel a bit low again. So got upped to 40mg and have been on that for 4 weeks and am feeling much better - negative thoughts don't really take hold like they used to.

Can be very tough in the early weeks but worth sticking with for 3 months and just up the mg if you need to after that.

Good luck all.

• Posted

Hello Kirk, really happy to hear that you feel so much better now on 40mg! Did you take a step backwards to begin with when you upped dose? So 16 weeks overall now and you feel so much better ... that is good info to know.
    • Posted

Hi Dom

Cheers. Well I did alternate days 40, 20 for a couple of weeks with my reasoning being that it would equate to 30 per day and therefore wouldn't be as big a jump. Then I went up to 40 per day. Fortunately didn't have any side effects at all after upping the dose. Hope you're getting there yourself mate.

• Posted

Hey Domm how you been. I hope better. How is your sleep.
    • Posted

Hi Kirk. Is it normal to have negative thoughts w depression?. How did you manage w all the side effects. I guess going up on your doze did help. Did the side effects got worse as you went up.
  • Posted

Hi Stacey so pleased your getting there wish I was there had the worst 10 months but feel I'm slowly getting there been on prozac before and it worked its just my mind won't shut off always fear the worst

• Posted

brenda youve been on it for 10 months and are still having a hard time?

• Posted

Not on prozac was on sertraline for 8months been on prozac for 6weeks feel I'm getting there slowly have a look on YouTube Dr Harry Barry Well worth watching x

• Posted

Hi Brenda,

It’s a very slow process.  I’m at the 12 week mark, finally the anxiety is calming down.  My mind doesn’t shut off either, but I am not as easily irritated as before, everything bothered me, so that’s definite improvement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.