PLEASE HELP.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a meeting last week with my boss as I have had 6 days off in 6 months. Some days I have been unable to call in as I have been asleep all day. Even though I know that  have to call in, I told my manager that I was suffering with severe depression and was on prescription drugs for this and also under the care of a psychiatrist. She told me she found it 'hard to believe' that I could be depressed when I have a lovely life. I had a breakdown last week and didn't go in, didn't call up in accordance with the staff handbook but managed to get a doctor to see me and got a sick note. Where do I stand? I told her I was unwell. Can I get sacked immediately? Iv been there for 9months. Thank you.

0 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi hopingtosmile, I'm sorry you've been having a bad time. I personally find it disgusting that your manager hasn't been supportive of your situation and that she dismissed your depression. People like her really do need to be aware of what it means to have a mental illness and how it impacts all aspects of life. I'm not 100% sure, but i would assume that it would be unfair dismissal if you were sacked. The fact you have a sick note means you have evidence to back up why you were off work. Best of luck with your recovery, Amy.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough time..i would very much doubt they can sack you outright for not ringing in sick...although this is a breach of their company rules i very much doubt it is gross misconduct...if they are to finish you they must follow the company disciplinary procedures e.g. verbal warning; written warning; final written warning etc.

Unfortunately you now have to be with a company for 2yrs + before you can claim unfair dismissal against them.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I have been sacked now, and as I have been with the company less than a year I can't do anything about it. My company commissioned a doctors report, then sacked me the day before I was due to go in for a meeting with the letter, I think they decided it was easier to get rid of me than help me! I am a bit better after spending a few days with friends in the sun, feeding the ducks, any inboxes would be much appreciated though!

xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Hopingtosmile

OMG I've just seen your post and update that you have been sacked, that's disgusting and it should not matter how long you have worked for an organisation no wonder peoople are fearful of telling their employers!

My husband worked 24/7 for 17 years with an NHS Mental Health Trust, his boss the CEO knows he has depression and has done so since last January, to add insult to injury he was bullied. He supposedly left his job in April and had to sign a "gagging order" he has left with a few months salary so we now face repossession and bancruptcy. His boss told me last year he was too expensive to let go, so we his family know something is drastically wrong.

He left the home 9 months ago, so he has no home, no family (not our doing we've offered support and help but has refused even professional help) and now no job, he's moved for a fresh start to a house share/bed sit and is till not happy!

Sometimes people aren't able to ask for help for themselves, feel weak for asking for help or feel ashamed, but you were honest with your employer , they have failed you, your employers are a disgrace. I wish you all the very best, take care of yourself.

Jackie x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's terrible that they've sacked you! I'm sorry to hear that (although they obviously aren't nice people to work for so hopefully you'll get something way better!).

I'm very fortunate where I work. They know I've had manic depression for about 10 years. I was off sick in 2010 for 7 months, and I have just gone off sick again this week. My manager is really good though. She called Occupational Health (during 2010 absence) who checked up on the problem and reiterated to my employers that I shouldn't be at work and am currently receiving treatment for a long term illness (the depression).

Plus, due to the fact I am receiving treatment it goes down as disability rather than sick. If I rang in and said 'I'm depressed today so I won't be coming in' then that would go down as sick, but not if I'm off for receiving treatment.

I think most large companies are meant to check with Occupational Health for such things really. Hopefully your next employers will do so!

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better anyway smile

Gem xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

So sorry to hear about you losing your job Hopingtosmile. Although it probably doesn't feel like it now, i'm sure in the long run it will be a good thing. I've been having cognitive behavioural therapy, which teaches you to learn how to think positively about even the worst of situations. (I'd have a read into it if you haven't already biggrin On the flip side, I'd say that at least you are no longer working for such an awful company who clearly don't have any compassion towards their employees. Plus, you've mentioned how nice it is to have spent time with your friends, so that's another plus. Hopefully in your next job your employer will be more understanding smile
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

No you can't get sacked but a poor manager will try and insinuate this could be a possibility.  It is a form of bullying and it's rife in work places at the moment.  Consequence of the recession, where all business are keen to get the most out of their staff but there are rules which are there to protect you.  You have a sick note so that should be the end of the matter.  Probably because she's got someone on her back telling her to keep absences down but that's not your fault.  If she still puts pressure on you get in touch with ACAS, just type ACAS into google and you'll get their site up and they'll be able to advise.  I used them to start a tribunal against a former employer last year over a similar situation to yours and they were great.     
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies, I am feeling a bit better at the moment, and my dr has helped me. My friends are all being very supportive and also I have really found everyone's responses on here very supportive and kind. Thank you xxx
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up