Please help

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi .Im in a real hole at the moment.iv recently been moved of citalopram onto sert 100mg and i feel so low.im just looking for someone to tell me sert is going to help.nothing so far has calmed my mind or emotions and i cant take waiting anymore.its too much.im sorry theres probably loads of posts like this i just couldnt find any .Thankyou

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Worked for me 8 months on 100mg now none. Back at work and all good it started badly and improved steadily over a month or 2 it should get better good luck

• Posted

The first thing I want to say is it does get better! It's definitely normal to have low days every one does I started sertraline in October before I went back to uni was having really bad panic attacks felt spaced out and was so anxious all the time but I started sertraline felt better then had a really low few days a few weeks ago but now I feel in a really good place. I mean I did have some rough side affects at first but you just have to ride it out for a bit ( I was a bit worried when my doctor told me to just go with it ) but it does eventually pass. Iv also found this forum REALLY helpful it really made a difference to read everyone's experiance and journey and it is really reassuring to know your not the only one going through it. Hope you start to feel brighter soon ! And if in doubt just post something because your more then likely to find the answer.
  • Posted

I'm with Jon below. I'm still on 50 mgs, and have been now for 12 months. Not anxiety free, but is anyone? I too back at work, and sleeping again! Which is perfect. 
  • Posted

It gets better, it's hard to be patient but it does. After I went up to 100mg after being on 50 for a while, I'd say in about 4 weeks it kicked in and I felt totally ace. Things became clear to me for the first time in what felt like forever, and it was such a relief it was worth the few weeks of weirdness at the start. I just lay low and treated myself gently until I adjusted - you will get there! 
    • Posted

hi rb just wanted to ask how long it took to adjust when you upped your dose. I have been on sertraline a total of 8 wks 3 days. I was on 50 mg for 6 wks 3 days then upped to 100mg. first week on 100mg thought I had got away lightly with side affects but day 10 and 11 had some anxiety but coped ok. had a good weekend but today I have woken up feeling low and a little tearful. I was given serts for sudden anxiety not depression so a bit worried I feel low. compared to 8 wks ago I am so much better so I am hoping it's just the upped dose settling in. It has been 2 wks on upped dose.
  • Posted

Hi Natalie, it took about 4 weeks for my body to get used to the upped dose - even though it did give me some tummy troubles (as in, the runs) for weeks after that even, at least I felt better and was sleeping really well for the first time in ages. The weepiness I think will pass in a couple more weeks, but if it doesn't after 4 weeks or so talk to your doctor. I was given it for depression the major reason, anxiety the minor and it has turned out well for me. You will still 'feel feelings' but the meds may help you get some emotional distance, and be less reactive, so you can pinpoint the reasons behind them and deal with the root causes in a more practical manner, if you know what I mean. That's why I consider my experience with Sert a success smile 

• Posted

hi thanks for your response. I was hoping it was due to needing longer on the upped dose but was unsure due to having 6 wks already on 50mg. so that's good just need to allow some more time. I am sleeping and eat loads better over the last 3 wks apart from night sweats early hours but I can cope with that . I am having councilling which helps with talking things through. Thanks again
  • Posted

Let us know how you are getting on buddy. The wait to feel the benefit of any medication can be frustrating so it's good to talk about your journey and hear about the experience of other people you have trodden that path before you. You are definitely not alone. Take one day at a time and as RB has said, be gentle with yourself. Give yourself the space that you need to get better and let those close to you know how you are coping so they can lend a helping hand on the really bad days. I hope you will start to have good days that will make the bad days more tolerable. Keep going. Anything you can do to boost your self-confidence, spend time doing it! You will get better and you will be able to help someone else who is struggling.

All the best, Digsby

• Posted

Thankyou digsby and everyone else who replied .Iv had a major setback this week but I really want to sort it now.I wouldnt wish this on anybody but your right it does help knowing its not just me.I just need to remember that its going to take time I think.i guess in the long run the time it takes is imaterial if its going to let you live a happy life eventualy.Thank you guys
    • Posted

That's a great attitude to have buddy. Over the course of your whole lifetime, this can just be considered a blip :-)

Sorry to hear about the major setback this week. I hope that you have support in dealing with it. Problems can seem insurmountable but often there is a way round them or through them if we put them into perspective - that's not to belittle how serious life can be! My therapist is challenging me to tackle a few big problems in my life that I've been avoiding but that are probably adding to my depression. Tackling them is the only way to help myself in the long run but it isn't easy. Take one day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you have to take a pause in the journey to recovery. Let me know how things progress. Wishing you all the best, Digsby

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.