Please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I do t really know what I'm doing so bare with me, so I got diagnosed last summer with anxiety had a horrible 2 months but the started to get better they put me on propanolol which seemed to help. I thought I was getting better as would have no owns off feeling anxious but I could cope with it and would ease. Last week I woke up and randomly had a massive panic attack since then I feel so anxious I can't eat I can't sleep and can't leave my house I just feel so alone and terrified m. I went back to the doctors and they prescribed me setriline (think that's what it's called) I took it for 3 days and it made me feel absolutely horrendous I've also been diagnosed with depression I'm to scared to take and more mess because off the side affects so currently sticking to the propanolol and also sleeping tablets. Does any one have any advise on how to get out off the hole?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

The panic attacks do not stop. It doesnt work like that. You have to stop them, or control them. The meds can aid with some symptoms but the meds are noway a cure. When you stop fearing the fear. You have to accept it. Accept all of it and not fear it. Riding it out with no fear.When you are no longer afraid of the rush you get or the weird symptoms that string along with the anxiety they will calm down and your automatic calming will go back to the way it was. Thats the key to recovery. Saying that its hard as hell to do that. On a positive nite they do come and go. They can go for long soanda of time before they return. I do nit have an explanation for why that happens. They feel within a decade they will have new meds, now in trials that will be more helpful. All you can do is learn about what a panic attack is, what it does and self calming techniques that work fot you. Its a personal  battle mostly. Cbt is the basic 101 of this disorder coupled with therapy to keep you rationale and hopeful.so if you can go get into the session or self learn it thru the internet with books and workbooks and apps. After that they have add ons mindfullness, emdr, act, eft..etc..what ever you find works to calm you.  It is very possible to manage panic disorder or anxiety attacks ince you do learn abiut them and what to do. Setbacks happen but you can manage them. Meaning you can still function and such. Think very hard what occurred in your life before they started and thats what needs to be addressed in therapy. Many times you might have been depressed first not realizing it, trauma, death, illness..but something probably overloaded you so much it triggered the first ine and then fear begins from there.
    • Posted

You are so right, you have to break that endless negative cycle!
    • Posted

I have controlled the panic attacks and seem to come out of them a lot quicker it's the anxiety that I don't no what to do about I feel it everyday my head doesn't stop I get tingles I feel weak and trembly and I have insomnia and advice on what to do? I am trying to stay positive and tell myself it's just the anxiety but it's just taking my life away I used to be so down to earth laid back and have fun now I barley leave the house
  • Posted

I was in exactly your situation. Stick with the sertraline. You will feel worse before you feel better. It will take a number of weeks to get your dose right and begin to feel a positive affect. You can continue taking the propranolol and the sleeping tablets with the sertraline as they don't interact with it.

Give yourself and the meds time to work and you will get better soon!

All the best!

Mist

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying, they have actually taken me off the setriline and told me not to take them any more and haven't gave me anything else I'm stuck on what to do next I feel like I just have to put up with it and that I'm just in a black hole
  • Posted

Lauren, please keep taking the sertaline. People generally find that they feel worse when they start taking sertraline. Trust me - that goes away. It can take up to six weeks before your body gets used to it and it starts to make you feel a lot better. 

Carry on with the propranolol and the sleeping tablets, too. (what dose of propranolol are you on - and which sleeping tablet do you take, and the  dose?)

I know it's hard to begin with but I've been on sertraline 200 mg for about a year, and I feel so much better that I'm going to ask my doctor how to reduce off them safely.

Love Tess

• Posted

Hi they have taken me off the tablets and told me not to take them? I take 120 mg propanolol a day and the sleeping tablets are zoplocone . I just feel stuck on what to do now 😥
    • Posted

Yes, I can see it in your original post - you really feel stuck and are desperately seeking something - anything - that will fix it, so that you can get on with your life and enjoy it again.

I've been in that place myself, Lauren, and you have my sympathy.

I'm a little bewildered that when you were taken off the sertraline (after only one dose) NOBODY suggested any other form of medication, or therapy.

Medication and therapy help a lot, but you yourself have to do the best you can to fight your way out of this. Other people have given you advice - good advice - today. Do you feel motivated enough to give it a try? Keep posting and people here will do their best to help you.

• Posted

Im in a similar hole. Since December, insomnia. It sucks, sleep hard to get and hard to even stay asleep. Taking my life away is right.

Sorry I have no advice, just know you are not alone in this.

• Posted

I think it's worse than the actual anxiety as I jut sit up all night thinking I have work then I feel absolutely terrible the next day 😥 have you found any ways off helping you sleep or do you just get up? Xx
  • Posted

They shouldn't just take you off them without any plan of action for the future.

I would go back to your gp and ask what the short and long term plans are. Because you can't stay on the zopi's they are addictive. They I would think be only short term??

Love Mist

• Posted

Yeah I don't think they would give me and more sleepers cause I've had loads sit his is probably the last go. Yeah I have another appointment on the 19th so fingers crossed they come up with a long term plan. I did CBT but didn't find it helped me so much so I have been reaffered for more theoropy xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.