Please Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

does anyone suffer from bile acid malabsorption . I had my gallbladder removed over 12 months ago  and suffered with loose watery bowels   doctors finally put me on questran  which have helped  (been on them for about 2 months now), and im awaiting test for bile acid malabsorption due to have it done in march, but im getting severe cramp pains in my stomach    please can anyone tell me if they have same thing  and what do you take for pain,   i cant get in my doctors due to xmas and new year closure, x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Patricia!  

I'm on the same medication as you are for BAM.  I was told to take it at bed time with 3-6 ounces of water.  I've taken it since 2009, so I've had an opportunity to refine what I do.  I mix it with 3 ounces of water and 3 ounces of organic papaya nectar and shake it thoroughly in a small bottle. The papaya nectar is somewhat grainy and it hides the texture of the resin, which is what questran is.  You can also use organic apple juice. The juice doesn't affect the questran at all.   

I think it's important to know that if you take any medication for anything else, you need to take it one hour before you take the questran.  If not, you need to take your medication four hours afterwards.

I also had stomach cramps until I did the above.  The other thing I do, is to take the bottle to bed, shake it up, drink 1/2 of the amount, then read for 10-15 minutes and drink the rest. Not drinking it all at once is less of a shock to my stomach, because, let's face it, it's rather unpleasant stuff. 

I hope this helps!

• Posted

Hi lynda  doctor told me to take it 3 x a day  but it made me constipated  so i tried 2x a day still constipated dropped to 1 sachet still a little backed up  so now im only taking half sachet a day  and thats been fine for me,  i do take antidepressants  at night   so doctor told me take questran through day,   since having gallbladder out  no matter what i eat i have stomach cramps  doctors said ibs   but someone told me to ask for bile acid malabsorption test which im waiting for.  i have had blood test stool test colonoscopy  all ok,   im going to bed with stomach cramps  and when i finally do go sleep  im waking up with stomach cramps.  
    • Posted

Please let me know what the test reveals.  Two things could be going on...your gallbladder's no longer there to measure the bile, so it's dripping constantly into your small intestine.  The second thing is that your body may no longer make the hormone that enables the bile to be absorbed...

I hope you get an answer soon!  Please let me know how you get on!

• Posted

I am sorry to hear that Patricia. I know I was trying to get into my doctor who just did my knee surgery but the holiday so i have to wait. that sounds alful. mine is only a little over a month that I had my GB out. I hope that does not happen to everyone and also that they fix it for asap. take care 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up