Please help - ankle problem

Posted , 6 users are following.

Two weeks ago I tripped down a curb and damaged my ankle.  It swelled straight away and I went to minor injuries.  They xrayed it and said it was a small crack, put me in a boot and sent me on my way.  They said I would be contacted by the virtual fracture clinic.  

Two days later the virtual clinic rang and said it wasn't broken and gave no further advice.

After waiting for a phone call from my GP all day I went back to minor injuries 3 days later and was told it looked broken.  I said the virtual clinic said no, so they took off my boot and said its just a bad sprain.

The pain continued and my foot was very cold so I contacted the virtual clinic after another 3 days to talk to someone.  The said I should come in and see them.  They looked at it, said it was a bad sprain with pulled ligaments on both sides and that I had chipped a bone but they put a tub I grip on, told me to rest and sent me on my way.

All was going well but 5 days after that the pain is getting worse and it seems more swollen today.  I have no idea what else to do now as I'm not sure the GP can help.

Has anyone else had any experience of this?  Not sure it should be getting more painful 2 weeks after???

Any help and advice gratefully received!

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Kate, that does not sound good.  You clearly need another opinion here.  I'm not sure where you are, but I would try and see a orthopaedic surgeon and have them look at it.  In the meantime, careful walking on it or you could damage it further.  Best of luck. Ron
  • Posted

I agree with Ron, I would get a second opinion. I pulled all the ligaments and tendons out of the same foot that is now broken 45 years ago. I was in a cast for several months and was told not to put weight on it.. ie no walking. I was in a cast over that longer than I have been with this break. Now long term it might take longer to heal. I would get an ortho surgeon to look at it right away.
  • Posted

Hi Kate

Yes I'd be getting an MRI to check for any missed damage given they couldn't make up their minds. If all ok, at least second opinion certainly might help you know what you and can't do for now.

Last year I had ankle surgery for chronically torn ligaments and ankle instability amongst other issues. Best to check it out.

Take care

Melissa 😊

• Posted

I would most definitely follow up with an orthopedic surgeon! Any problems with your ankle could cause you problems for a long time if not fixed properly and timely. If you have a break that needs surgery you would not want to put that off with no treatment, or if any of those ligaments are torn.... 🙄

Good Luck!!! I really hope for you that it IS only a sprain that just needs treatment with wearing the boot! 👍

• Posted

Thanks.  I guess I will be going back to my GP this week hey!
    • Posted

Be sure your general practitioner has a background orthopedic injuries or can give you a referral to an orthopedic doctor if need be. 👍
  • Posted

I don't have a boot to wear anymore....minor injuries took it away and all I have is a tubi grip for support now.

should I have something else?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.