please help, anxiety is starting to destroy me

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello, im david i have suffered with mild anxiety but latley its been like being on a rollercoaster ride of which i have no control over.

I am aware that i make it worse for myself sometimes with worrie but it feels like i have no control over what thoughts go through my mind no matter how insane and unlikely they are. The final straw was being reduced to tears last night, im usually a strong person or so i thought and this is just so hard to try and deal with and im just stuck for what to do, im scared of going to the doctors and being brushed off as being depressed, i know all about that as that part of my life has gone what is happening now is different, please if anybody could help in any way it would be greatly appretiated.

one last thing please dont take this the wrong way but i am an athiest and other sites iv looked at ask me to turn to god and he will guide me as you could imagine that wouldnt help me, thank you

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Depression and anxiety can bring us right to the edge of what we can deal with. It can be hard to accept, but dealing with it through some psychotherapy sounds like it might help. My depression and anxiety is far too volatile for medications- which can make things worse initially, so therapy works better for me.  Yes for some religion will help them, but there has to be s realisation that religion is a choice, and shouldn't be offered as a treatment option to the non religious 
  • Posted

If you doubt your diagnosis then ask for a referral to a psychiatrist, they are the only qualified people to make a definitive mental health diagnosis. I am waiting for an appointment in a week's time for a proper diagnosis 
  • Posted

when i suffered with deppresion in the past the drugs i was given put me down even more to the point it crossed my mind to take my own life so not particuarlly looking to go down the drug route, im hoping sharing my experience and reading about others it may help me on my start to recovery
    • Posted

Meds don't make me better either, reading and sharing is great, but a safer idea would to add some proper therapy into the mix. Self treatment really isn't a good idea for mental health issues. Trust me, I tried to do it for myself, things did not go well
    • Posted

i am due to phone the doctors on monday and get some help, hopefully mixed with speaking to others it will all help
    • Posted

I'm sure it will, cbt as a therapy option will likely be offered. Cbt for some works well,for others including me it was terrible. There are other therapy options however, but gps aren't usually very good at knowing the difference. If you think your issues might be resolved by dealing with issues frim the past, the ask for CAT rather than CBT.  But Google should tell you more about the types of therapy available 
  • Posted

See a therapist. He/she will help you deal with your thoughts. Praying for you anyway. You are not alone. 
  • Posted

Its not that easy to see a therapist. I have asked my doctor and gone all through the usual questions and made to feel as if I am not suffering enough as I do not wish to harm myself or others and am managing to get dressed and do a days work. So why am I now sitting here with tight stomach cramps, shaky legs and feeling very nervous, and sick. ( a usual weekend for me) I was offered CBT but have already done a six week course which didnt resolve anything. Eventually they agreed I could go on the waiting list 4-6 weeks to have some counselling but was made to feel that I wasnt worthy of receiving this treatment. Although I am not suicidal I can quite see why some people go this route as its an end to the daily pain.
    • Posted

Pamela, I am so sorry you are feeling this way.  Don't give up. Can you at least pay for an initial visit with a therapist? See another doctor if yours is not taking you seriously.
    • Posted

When I suffered with depression I was given meds and was told that they do t turn you into a zombie, they were very wrong! For me personally instead of picking me up from my lowest point they kept me at a low point constantly which was worse than the ups and downs, it got to the point that I wanted to drive my car into a tree that made me stop the meds and I actually ended up taking a herbal drug called St. John's wart, I took it as my partner asked me to try it and along with her help I over come my depression, sadly I feel even more out of control with the anxiety so think I may now need a bit more help but am starting on the herbal tablets aswel
  • Posted

i have suffered with anxiety since getting disabled with severe chronic pain; anti anxiety meds have always helped me in a manner of days;i also suffer from clinical depression and cymbalta has helped me tremendously; but you need to be on the right dose; for some the anti anxiety drugs may not help but for me they help very well; i have also have biofeedback therapy back in the past after hurting myself and that helped me quite a bit; i would see a psychiatrist; it is not embarrassing; some of us just our chemicals in our brain have gotten out of whack from maybe to many traumatic events you have had to deal with; I believe in God, but God would prob want you to seek profess help; he gave doctors the knowledge to deal with the brain and how it functions; believe me; there are many many people who suffer with what you do and depression and self medicate with street drugs or alcohol or sex; you are not alone and shouldn't have to  feel ashamed or scared
    • Posted

I def think I need to see somebody and prob should have a long time ago, the more I read from propel the more it makes me think, I had less than a normal childhood and I think it's been starting to affect me the past few years but I have been sweeping it under the carpet, thank you for your reply, I am so greatful to everybody's responses 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.