Please help are these symptoms IBS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone ,

I really hope someone can help me as I'm very scared . It's a long story but I'll try to cut it down 🙈

Six months ago I had rectal bleeding and diorhea , I had a colonoscopy and two polyps were removed , one quite large one . Two months later I had open myomectomy surgery on my abdomen to remove fibroids . I've read that abdominal surgery can cause IBS.

Here's the issue , I went to see a gastroenterologist at the hospital about two months ago with constant rectal pain and constipation and pain in my upper abdomen , he said I may have prostalgia Fulax and sent me for an MRI which was very scary .

The MRI results came back ok but now I have lots of other issues . As soon as I open my eyes in the morning I literally have to run to empty my bowels and then I go about four more times . I still feel pressure in my rectum as if I haven't emptied my bowel properly. Also , there been a small amount of bright red blood on the tissue . I have weird gurgling sounds in my tummy and rectum after eating . I just feel generally run down all the time . My doctor is now sending me for a flexi sigmoidoscopy and I'm scared to death .

Could this be IBS , he said it might be and that I should try the FODMAP diet . Has anyone else had these symptoms with IBS? I'm just worried as to why I'm having another flexi sigmoidoscopy so soon after my last colonoscopy, if there were anymore polyps would they come back this quickly or I hate to even say it tumours .

Please help I'm going crazy 🙈🙈

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizze,

It sounds like you have had a really rough time. For that I am truly sorry. You have my sympathy. I don't have enough medical knowledge to know if you have IBS.

It took me a long time to get a diagnosis for IBS from a doc. But, I was so tired of being sick all the time I decided to try the low fodmap diet. I felt better in 24 hours. The list wasn't all inclusive and I would venture off and eat foods I shouldn't. Then I'd be sick again.

I thought I would tell you what happened to me recently and what is now working for me. If you get an IBS diagnosis I highly recommend the products I mention below. You could even ask your doc if you could try these products. But, it won't hurt to try the low fodmap app I got from Monash University. See if it helps.

I have IBS-C and had a terrible attack a couple of weeks ago. I had pain and bloating for the next several days that I felt would never go away even after changing my diet dramatically. I was dreading the thought that I may be this way the rest of my life.

I went into the healthfood store to get some magnesium as I read that it can help with constipation. The owner stopped to help me and showed me a series of products that are actually helping! It is Heather's Tummy Care. She has a fiber product that has been working wonders for me. It takes awhile to work, so I continued on my Miralax. I even asked my gastro doctor and she said to try it. I am still taking one dose (3/4 capful) and now I'm now regular.

I also use her tea at every meal. I increase my water intake too, but room temperature water only.

I stopped eating wheat and eat homemade spelt bread (Bread machine). I stay on the low fodmap diet and have an app on my phone from Monash University. I love this app as it's always with me. It has a traffic light system, red, yellow, and green.

Google Heather's Tummy Care. She's in Seattle, Wa.

Hope this helps!

Holly

• Posted

Stomach surgery can cause IBS.  Polyps can cause rectal bleeding but haemorrhoids or fissures can cause them too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.