Please help! Been on Citalopram 10mg for 5weeks. Im scared :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi im new to this site and in need if some help please. After a long time suffering with anxiety and suspected depression my doctor perscribed me with 10 mg of citalopram taken every morning. will i ever get better?! Ive suffered from nausea, diarrohea, headaches, detatchment, bizare head sensations, hightened anxiety, no motivation, extreme restlessness, mood changes, body shakes, fight or flight sensation (adrenaline sweeping from head to toes, blurred vision, jaw clenching, muscle jumping and restless legs.

The past few weeks have been hell but until 2 days ago i felt abit "normal" not 100% some side effects subsided but the past 2 days i have taken a bit step back nervousness, head shooting pain, nausea, agitation, tingling all over body, shakes, crying, emotional,weird head sensation. Is this normal. Im so frightened i feel like no one understands i will do anything to be normal again! Apolagies for the long post i just need advice PLEASE. I am also taking carbimazole, proponolol 80mg daily and diazepam when needed. Thank you xx

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Aww kirby I can really relate to all your symptoms, I'm now nearly on 7wk 20mg cit and I've got to say I'm feeling abit better now, maybe you could do with a dose increase spk with your doc, 10mg done nothing for me x
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. Ive just had enough of feeling so scared and panicky sick and emotional. Thank you for the advice smile x
  • Posted

Hey Kirsty, I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad time. I really would suggest speaking to your doctor. Initially it's all trial and error with dosage - I'm on 20mg and I know 10mg wouldn't do a thing. Then again, maybe this medication isn't for you, your doctor will be able to advise you. 

We all go through similar things to you, and it is scary but we are all here to help and your doctor should take the time to listen to you and to help you find a dose or medication that will start to make you feel normal soon.

Take care. x

• Posted

Does anyone think its just a blip?? X
    • Posted

It could be. It takes about 4-6 weeks for the citalopram to kick in. I would have guessed that you would start to feel better by now. When is your follow up appointment?
    • Posted

I had my follow up appointment last week (4 weeks onto treatment) i was feeling fine at that point until 2 days ago had a panic attack this morning and got the symtpms of anxiety back the adrenaline feeling frightened me i guess i need to ask for an earlier appointment x
    • Posted

I think it may just be a blip, especially if you were feeling ok a week ago. I too, suffer from anxiety on citalopram. Sadly, it's a side effect. 

I know this isn't going to get rid of your anxiety but I talk myself through it - like a counsellor. It takes time (on occasion a day or so) but I work through it.  I also meditate - only 10 minutes a day, but it helps me pick up the warning signs. I suggest, you do something just for you today - go for a walk, have a beauty treatment, buy yourself a treat or cook yourself a nice dinner. Hey, even download free mindfulness and meditate! Work it out your system, be kind to yourself and you will be fine. x

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the link with a suggested Google search term rather than a specific website as the link provided wasn't a working link.

• Posted

Sorry for all the replies below, I was on my iPad and it's not working properly. It kept saying there was an error and then a whole load of replies appeared!

I too, suffer from anxiety with citalopram. It's one of the side effects I'm afraid. I now recognise what it is and I talk myself down, but that has taken time to learn. Don't worry, it is perfectly normal, and it is most probably just a blip. Be kind to yourself for the next few days, try to do things just for you and with luck, the anxiety will go down and you can feel normal again. x

• Posted

Its fine smile  thank you for the advice! Its just so frustrating being like this i will keep updating x

• Posted

Hey Kirsrty 

I have been on cit 10mg for 5 wks now and I do feel alot better then I was before I previously started taking them..

I have experienced all of the symptoms you have listed above the worst for me is the head sensations(which brought on my anxiety).  i understand how you feel an it is quite fighting... The sensations for me have eased a bit but I can still feel it.. so I'm going for a MRI just to ease my mind... 

It will get better stay strong it does take between 4-6 wks for the tablets to work but I would suggest going back to your gp and maybe asking for an increase to 20mg...

You will feel nor mal again I thought I'd never be the same but slowly I'm coming back to myself and you will too.

Cheryl x

• Posted

Thank you i will try and get an earlier appointment  to see my gp. I just thought i would be feeling abit better but instead i have taken a few steps back. I am on 10mg just like you i was hoping not to increase my dose im on edge already! Until 2 days ago i felt fine until i got a fluttering in my left ear that bought on anxiety and had a panic attack this morning i hate the horrid adrenaline rush that comes with. 

Thank for the advice Cheryl x

• Posted

I do get good days an bad days... but I've noticed I'm getting more good days... I was thinking about increasing meself but I am very anti tablets an I think it might be to much for me so I'm just gonna stick it out...

With taking Cit you will get side affects but thays how you no there working... I no its a horrid  feeling an you do feel like giving up but please don't you'll be OK 

When you do get an anxiety attack just remember it can't hurt you an just let it pass and try not to panic..I no easier said then done but if you accept it it won't be as bad...

I have an appointment with my gp today to discuss my progress...

Have you much support from family an friends?? I no not alot of people understand this illness bit there is alot of support on this site... For me the only support I had was my family who are 1000s of miles away as I moved from Ireland to Canada last year.. boyfriend doesn't understand at all.. But I jus push on...

Cheryl x

• Posted

Im the same as you i hate taking tablets, i want to stick to 10mg  i have support from my family but they dont fully understand. I get no support from my boyfriend he just thinks I am moaning all the time aha. Im glad you are having good days more often. It helps me to stick it out and put up with it. I hope your appointment goes well please let me know how you get on smile im counting down the days until i feel abit better. Fingers crossed i dont get another attack hate that adrenaline fight or flight horrible feeling. X

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up