Please help depression getting worse due to L5S1 disc prolapse

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I've been suffering badly for 3 years now, herniated disc and DDD in L5 S1, pain down both legs to the point I can't stand up straight or walk with out painful electric shock like pains. I take a alot of pain medication and have had 3 steroid injections. My last one was Sept and was great until I had a woman crash into the back of me with serious effect to my back. I am now waiting to see my consultant on 7th February- the earliest appt available since the crash in November!!. I can't do anything try as I might. I'm lucky as my partner is amazing and my boys help enormously. This has had an enormous effect on my whole life, I can't work due to the tablets i take and my depression is at an all time low. I'm 41 and am like an 80 year old. I also have osteoarthritis.

I try to walk and keep active but it's a viscous circle with my low mood

. I am in Liverpool which has a great neuro depth at the Walton centre but I am with an orthopaedic consultant in the spine depth at the local hospital in town. I just want to be back room some k8nd of normality. x

My meds are pregabalin 600mg naproxen 1000mg dihydracodiene 240mg paracetamol 2 x 4times a day this, I have been told is a foundation for all the other meds to work on - I take all this and my venlaflaxine (exilir in US I think) but am still in huge amounts of pain

Please does anyone have any tips ideas or questions I should ask thee consultant? He said if the 3rd injection didn't work then he would do a disc fusion, this is making me more anxious and although it could help there is also horror stories of it being worse after. I'm at a complete loss

Thanks for taking time to read my post xxxx

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sandie: I'm so sorry that you are going through this at such a young age.  I have something similar to yours, but not quite the same.  I have sciolosis, spinal stenosis and five degenerative discs and osterarthritis....I, too, can't stand up straight and I have to be pushing a basket or something to be able to walk.  I feel that people are staring at me because I also have two bad knees and an arthritic left foot due to being born wth a flat foot.

I try not to live on pain pills, so I take one or two Tramadol caps a day.  Im a retired paramedic and had to get on disability.

I get so depressed sometime so I bought a treadmill and that is the only exercise that I can get that doesn't freak me out with pain.

They can't do anything for my spine so I will have to learn to live with it...Just wanted you to know that you are not alone...God bless you in the coming new year....xxxxooo

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes I suffer from PsA, and have suffered it now for thirty years, my problem is associated with my immune system and I will not get any better.

My standard medications are Celebrex, an NSID, Tramadol, Citalopram, Amytryptalene for nerve pain I also take other drugs to stablise my condition

In the past I was referred to the Pain Clinic and introduced to various courses associated with my condition. They also introduced Relaxation Techniques and Breathing Exercises, and the use of DMARD and Biologic medications at a later date. VTENS was also introduced and I was given training in its use and how to use the machine as an EMS and Nerve Block.

We were also shown various Physio techniques and pain control techniques by varying medication levels.

Talk to your GP about this and also ask for if possible CBT may be of help for your depression

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Bob

My fiancé has PsA. I think he will get alot from that, as do I.

I've tried so many different medications. I would have a check of the tramadol and amitryptaline, I got taken off them by the doctor at I couldn't take them together so I swapped the tramadol for dihydracodiene and kept on the amytriptaline but now I'm on pregabalin I can't take the amytriptaline..... it's a nightmare. I'm down for CBT it's just a matter of waiting

Thanks again

Sandie

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

We know that depression and anxiety can be linked to joint problems (what's called a co-morbidity).  There is a service called IAPT that is a national talking therapies service.  Most areas you can self-refer, but some you have to go through your GP.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up