Please help feeling awful and scared

Posted , 12 users are following.

I went out twice this weekend drinking and having fun with my friends which I haven't done in Ges due to my anxiety. Today I am feeling horrific almost punishing myself for going out. My whole body feels really weird I feel like all my sense are heightened and my hearing is funny even though it's not. My chest hurts in the middle and I'm just waiting for something terrible to happen to me. My whole head feels weird and my mind is racing my body just doesn't feel right. Has anyone else ever felt like this? Am I going to die? 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

As you're feeling like this now, rather than when you were out with your friends, it seems more like the alcohol that has made you feel this way. It increases heart rate and other symptoms of anxiety. When you go out next, try not drinking and see how you feel smile 
  • Posted

Your not going to die! This is anexity kicking in as you said u have been put enjoying yourself all weekend and now your back toreality  either at home or at work that's when it kicks in again. As your mind starts to play games. Just try to relax as much as you can. I know it's hard but I find a nice soak in the bath helps sometimes! 
  • Posted

Hi I feel the same, had a really good day yesterday, and today I feel dread.. My eyes r playing up, keep thinking am I going blind, head feels strange like pressure type, feel like I'm scared to go to sleep 😢
    • Posted

Hi carrie...that's exactly how I've described it today and in the past. Feel like I'm going blind and my head full of pressure..such a horrible feeling..why on earth would I suddenly go blind! The mind is so powerful and scary! 
  • Posted

Alcohol actually started my anxiety. It was the cure until it made me suffer worse anxiety when I wasn't drinking and eventually withdrawal symptoms when I didn't have it. 
  • Posted

Hi ,

Looks like the drinks have added to your anxiety . May be you can just have a nice dinner and try and go off to sleep .

• Posted

Hi everyone thanks for all your replies! I know the alcohol has made it worse as I built myself up to going out all weekend. I'm just worried as I'm going on holiday to Miami and Vegas on Friday and obviously I want to be like my old self and drink and party and have fun without worrying in going to die! sad 
    • Posted

I think the only way you will feel like that is if you stop drinking. Alcohol seems to have started/added to your anxiety quite considerably...
  • Posted

Dear Mimi

You are not going to die. You are not going mad. You will be OK. If you haven't been drinking for a while the alcohol will have more effect on your body. Remember hangovers? I think you may be having the usual symptoms of the after effects of drink and misreading the symptoms. You will probably feel cr*p. Alcohol is a mild poison and your liver has to work overtime to eliminate it from your system. Alcohol is also a depressant. So - funny feelings in your body possibly after effects of drink. Low mood and anxiety - ditto. Our senses are hyper-vigilant when in an anxiety state so we often feel overloaded. Your chest hurts because your chest muscles have tensed up as a response to the adrenaline in your system. Your mind is racing because you are panicking. Stop beating yourself up about going out. Well done for going out! That was a great achievment for someone with anxiety and shows you are brave. Did you enjoy yourself with friends? Was it good to see them again? Was it good to go out? Today you may feel differently because you are suffering the after effects but dont dismiss the fact that you did do it. You went out and enjoyed yourself (I hope). Your symptoms will slowly calm down and you will definately be perfectly OK. Might help to drink a lot of water, make sure you eat something and get to bed early if you can. Let me repeat - You are not going to die, it just feels like it. It's horrible but it is only feelings and thoughts that cant harm you in any way. You will be OK. I've been there hundreds of times so I know from experience how freaky it can feel - but it is a big con. Nothing is going to happen to you. These feelings are very very common to all anxiety sufferers. Latest UN figures are an estimated 40 million people are  suffering with anxiety worldwide, so we are in good company!

hang on in there and big hugs xx

• Posted

Athol thank you so much for your great comment. I've been able to give people advice on them in the past and tell them they're not going to die but for some reapsn today I've felt horrific. I did have a really go time with my friends at first I was anxious but then I was fine after a few drinks obviously. It just makes me sad that I have tto think about it now and build myself which makes me anxious. When I didn't used to think twice about going out to clubs with my friends on a weekend.  I've gone through every symptom the main one that I'm going to have a heart attack even though I'm only 24 years old and today I just felt like I had schizophrenia and my head has felt heavy and just awful! I took a diazepam which I have been trying to stay away from but just felt I really needed one tonight. I just want to feel like the old me again! I've suffered for nearly 8 months now sad xx
    • Posted

I hate it for you I had to change my entire lifestyle and still struggle as I refuse the benzos or antidepressants. I have moments that I swear I'm having a heart attack and even sometimes go to the hospital. I will pray for your well being. Sept will be a year I have struggled but I assure u it was worse when I drank. I even had to quit my job. This site is the only thing that makes me feel not so alone.
  • Posted

Hi Mimi, sound s to me like your punishing yourself for enjoying time out. It's a form of guilt and anxiety comes out of guiltor shame or impending doom. Not to mention alcohol will heighten all these sensations. Some people just can't drink, I use to be able too drink socially but have found I feel just like you when I do. Depending on what you drank will also be a factor. Some people can't drink lower grade vodka because it is Grain vodka which will cause reactions in the body and produce hangovers. Some can't drink beer because certain beers have gluten and you may have a gluten reaction to wheat or barely. I would venture to say that yours is probably just body scanning. you started with waking up feeling crappy and your mind began thinking the worst which set you into panic.

Drink plenty of water before or during your time drinking alcohol so you stay dehydrated thats a biggie. And make sure you eat before drinking also. I bet if you think back to your weekend you probably didn't do either smile It's ok you'll do it next time. Your not dying your just in a panic. Slow down your breathing and put on youtube to a relaxation video there are plenty of them. Type in Relaxation for panic or anxiety you'll find one to listen to. Hope this helps

• Posted

You have what is called a hangover, some get them worse than others, I am suffering from one now because I drank a whole 12 pack of beer by myself lol. It comes complete with an over all feeling of crappiness, irritability, head fog/pressure feeling in the ears, headache, light sensitivity, paranoia, heart palpitations, anxiety attacks and everything thing else that makes one feel miserable lol, think I'd learn my lesson but nooo, I get drunk at least once a week, usually Saturday nights, thankfully I have Sundays off and usually can't do anything except lay on the couch, eat lots of food, drink lot's of water, ginger ale, gatorade and green tea. Make sure whatever you drink does not have caffine, it with exacerbate the anxiety, I made that mistake once of being so thirsty with a hangover, I slammed a Monster energy drink and got mad anxiety and panic attacks, I went to the hospital and they gave me something called Ativan that works wonders for hangovers, they're anti-anxiety pills, they'll mellow you out, stop the anxiety, make your kinda giddy then sleepy and you sleep good, that's how they affect me anyway, they're kinda like xanax but without the medicine head the next day. You need a prescription for them though, Sleep is the most important thing you need when feeling like that, they're what got me through 10 days in Las Vegas drinking almost every day there lol, I'd wake up feeling like death warmed over, drink a big glass of water, pop an Ativan, then go back to sleep, get up and go eat and hit the strip again lol.. I hope this helps, just don't panic, the feeling is normal for a lot of people that get hangovers, I envy those that don't get them! Lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.