Please help! I hate prozac and want to quit taking it.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone Iv been on Prozac for 3 weeks. It has been hell. I'm on 60mg and the past 2 days I have felt completely drugged up, anxious, hot flashes, nauseous, zoned out, and jittery. My psychiatrist keeps changing her mind on what she wants me to do. She first wanted me to try it at night, then she wanted me to come down to 40mg, and today she told me to stop completely because im not tolerating it. I don't feel like she knows what she's doing and I'm very scared im going to end up in the hospital. I want to go back on lexapro. How do I get safely and quickly off prozac?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenna

I don't think anyone 'tolerates' getting onto Prozac, we have to survive it! You describe some of the standard, normal so called side effects of the stuff and I'm guessing you are getting these symptoms in spades because you have started on 60mg. I started on 20mg and that was bad enough!! These symptoms persist for six, eight, twelve weeks, I'm afraid - and then gradually, as they fall away, life becomes good again and you feel normal.

Personally, and knowing what I know now about getting on to Prozac, if my Psych or Doctor told me I needed 60mg i's say I wanted to start on 20mg and build up. The downside to that is that every increase seems to bring back the side effects, based on what folk have said here. I'm on 20mg, just over a year

The quickest way off Prozac is to stop taking it. If I ever come off it, I'd want to do it in steps.

As always, you need to take qualified medical advice.

In the meantime, be nice to yourself, treat youself - and be assured what you are experiencing is well known to everyone here, we've all been through it. Feels like hell come home to roost!

Take good care of yourself and good luck!

• Posted

wow! i am not a dr. but have had 4o yrs experience with different anti depressants-60 mg. is an ungodly high amt to start with! no wonder all the side effects----a/d's are chemicals which act on the brain--must be gradual --now i myself am starting with 5 mg.! i insisted--told dr i know my body, have to adjust very gradually-i am doing very well, minimal side effects and feel better already!  i notice most say lethargy common-funny, i find myself energized on prozac! all the others  made me nap daily--paxil was one of the worst for fatigue--a shame your doc going to think not the drug for u when just bombarded u with too high a dose!!! i would speak up
  • Posted

Hi Jenna

I agree with the others, 60mg does seem an awfully high dose to be starting with.  However, now you're on it you can't just stop it dead or you'll be very, very ill.  All meds like this give side effects which can be tough for some weeks, and they also take a long time before you feel any benefit - 3-4 months sometimes, and longer.  There is no quick fix, whatever dose dose you take.  Mind you it is worth the wait as you will feel a lot better in time to come.

Maybe reduce the meds as your doctor says, but stay on that for a while.  If you want to stop you then have to reduce bit by bit each month - this way you'll avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Hkwever if you stay of these meds, they will help you immensely - but you have to be very, very patient.

K xx

• Posted

Thank you everyone. I was started on 60mg because I suffer OCD and psyc told me that OCD typically only responds to high dose SSRIs. I was previously on 40mg lexapro and so she figured I'd need even higher on prozac since it's not as strong. I do feel she started me to high to quickly. I meet with her tomorrow so I'm hoping to get some answers and perspective. It's only been 3 weeks but it feels like 3 years.
    • Posted

yes, definitely talk to her--and let us know what happened !
  • Posted

Just an update to my small freak out yesterday wink I met with my psychiatrist. We just finished the meeting and I feel a little more at ease. She feels that this week is particularly hard because I have 1) started at to high of a dose of medication and 2) am experiencing withdrawals from being off of lexapro for a week on top of that.

So we decided to come down to 40mg instead of 60mg to see if that helps the side effects. I should theoretically feel progressively better over the next 2 weeks as the discontinuation feelings (think flu like symptoms) should fade and so should the Prozac side effects as well although could take closer to 12 weeks for those to fade. She also wrote a prescription for a mild appetite stimulant to help with eating because Iv lost a good amount of weight from being so nauseous.(who knew I'd ever need one of those!)

My biggest thing is I'm impatient because I want to stop feeling so sick and I feel guilty for my mom having to do the majority of my sons care right now. It's hard feeling like I can't care for my own baby and he reaches for me like why arnt you playing or holding me! Please pray for me or send good thoughts my way! I really hope I'll see a difference with this medication.

• Posted

so glad u posted! i was thinking of u today and wondering how the doc appt went--sounds like she at least listened and understood and hopefully on the right track now! yes, is hard overlapping a new med with the old one still lingering in your system-try not to feel guilty, as i am sure your mom is happy to be helping u thru this hurdle as she just wants u to be well and happy--be thankful u have the help!  and this group is a wonderful support system!
    • Posted

Thank you for checking in! I'm really enjoying this group. People are very helpful and encouraging. You're right, I am very fortunate to have the support system I have here. My mom is wonderful. My husband is also extremely helpful when he's not working. I think I'll get through this. Just have to keep reminding myself its weeks and not years wink I was on paxil as well for awhile, it was awful, made me gain a ton of weight and made me very tired.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.