Please help me :(

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi I'm really looking for some help.

I had my gallbladder removed a year ago now, due to no gall stones but my gallbladder wasn't contracting and it was filling and filling up with bile and then releasing it all at the same time causing me excruciating pain constantly.

Now... Since this has happened I've had issues with my stomach, being I feel like I am allergic to everything I eat, I have to rush to the toilet after MOST meals. And I have a heavy- achey pain and I am still very sensitive around the gallbladder area sad

I am having blood tests done on Monday to test for food allergies and thyroid ect just to check it isn't anything else. BUT I've been to hospital for this pain I'm still having, but it was as if I'd ruined the consultants coffee break he was so rude and dismissive to me.

I've been reading online ect just to find something for myself to help me!! Now I've come across this post about The sphincter oddi dysfunction. ? This conceres me greatly as my aunt passed away around 10 years ago as bile got stuck in this tube and infected her pancrius.

I really don't know what I'm suppost to do now.. I'm being dismissed by the consultant and I am embarrassed that this is still going on it is really getting me down as I won't talk to anyone else other than my mum (who's upset as its her sister who passed) and my boyfriend, I'm trying to hold down a job on the brink of tears everyday. And no one seems to understand.

Help?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi stephieswift,

So sorry to hear you're having a tough time and your your consultant at the hospital isn't being very compassionate. It must be very upsetting. Do you have a good GP? I went backwards and forwards to mine after my GB removal in March as I was still very unwell. It took a few visits as my GP had not heard of after symptoms post surgery, but was very sympathetic and referred me back to the gentleman who performed my operation. It sometimes pays to make a nuisance of yourself otherwise you do get fobbed off, you have to be taken seriously eventually.

I do hope you manage to get somewhere xx

• Posted

Hi Natasha

Thanks for responding!

Yes it has been all very upsetting I can't even say it's been awful for me. Putting on this act everyday is hard enough.

My gp has been quite helpful as I said she is giving me some allergy tastings which could come up with something, but she doesn't think the sensitivity is right around that area, yes I may well just have to make a nuisance of myself but I don't want to see that consultant again, he really made me feel worse

Thankyou again xx

• Posted

Hi Stephieswift

I'm sorry your still having problems. Are you having diarrhea all the time? Is it bile? It may be bile salt diarrhea which can happen to a small percentage after gallbladder removal. I had mine removed last December and had bile pouring out of me from day one. My doc prescribed bile binders questran but that made me sicker! I've been taking psyllium husk fibre the last 4-5 months and it's really helped. Also caltrate calcium 600 d is taken by many who have diarrhea after the op and it works well for so many. You start by taking half a pill 3 times a day with food and after a week if there's no improvement take 1 full pill 3 times a day with food. I've also had vomiting and nausea too but think it might be linked to a large cyst on my ovary. What I can tell you is that my gp has had patients who had diarrhea and vomiting for a year after the operation before it started to settle down. I've also heard of other people who had simular symptoms for anywhere from 1-2 years post op. Pain in the gallbladder area is common after the operation and I know someone who had it for 18 months along with indigestion and then one day it just stopped. Once the organ is removed the doctors won't do much unfortunately. Also I'm taking milk thistle which has really helped me. It's good for detoxing the liver and balancing the hormones. Hormone imbalance is the main cause of gallbladder issues. Some people also find probiotics and digestive enzymes helpful too. Your not alone. Take care xx

• Posted

I would make sure you tell your GP and refuse to see them again, I wonder if they could refer you to see someone else or maybe even a different hospital? It is not in my nature to push and make a nuisance of myself, but glad I did as it put my mind at rest as I thought I had stones stuck after my op xx
    • Posted

I agree with Natasha. It took docs ten years before they finally did the right tests to find the source of the problem. I had both my gallbladder removed and the bile duct because a stone was also stuck inside. 

Went to several docs. I was so reclieved it was finally found. The response the dr told me while he showed me my  X-ray was the other drs were wrong the pain is not all in your head. See this sport on your X-ray....the pain is all in your gallbladder. Finally at last!

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. It's been 5 weeks and I've still been dealing with ups and downs, as are many people on these discussion boards.  Because my job as a nurse involves lifting, I've been dealing with the surgeon who performed my operation, as he's the one who approved my leave of absence from work.  However, in this new age of healthcare in the US, we need to be involved in our healthcare.  If that consultant is being rude to you, take your concerns to a consultant that will listen, because they sound like valid concerns.  Remember, you are the most important person in this equation.
  • Posted

Hi Steph you could be suffering from BAM (Bile Acid Malorbsation) your symptoms sound just like mine! I had my GB removed 3 and a half years ago and I have suffered from Diaorrea ever since I was fobbed off by very rude consultants until I found one who diagnosed me with BAM. I now take four Colesevlam a day and up to eight imodium! Please ask your consultant about BAM and try not to get upset by their attitude they are there to help if you don't like his attitude ask to see someone else that is your right sweetheart! Let me know how you get on xxxx
  • Posted

thankyou for all of your responses.

I really appreciate your time! I will look into those individual things in a bit

Thanks again, well wishes x

• Posted

Hi Stephieswift, my heart broke as I read what you are going through. Someone id not doing their job! You should be in the hospital having test and get to the bottom of your problem. Where there is pain; there is a problem. I hate your consultant is trearing you so nasty. That is very unprofessional. I pray you have a good GP. It may be your sphincter muscle not opening correctly like your gb was not. I just don't know. You have to demand testing from your GP. I know I would! Please keep me informed of your situation. I am very concerned...
  • Posted

Hello Stephy,

You could try a pancreatitis diet and see if it works .Bing them on the web and some are very effective, that might exlude pancreatitis beside a pancreas blood test,Amylase , Lypase etc...

And try the usual liver remedies ,Apple cider vinegar , milk thistle and beet juice

Hope you get better soon

• Posted

My dr. Prescribed enzymes to help break up my food since gallbladder removal supplies enzymes . He also suggested to eat yogurt to keep the stomach bacteria balanced. He also said no fried or greasy food hard to digest. Since I started that I have had no more pain or cramping.

Maybe this could help you too!

• Posted

Do you mind me asking what the enzyme binders are called? I was looking at some on Amazon a while ago as I was recommended them, but might be better off getting some through my GP.
  • Posted

Hello stephieswift,

Your body def now has to adjust to something totally new. Def stay away from greasy foods. Hvae you tried the following below:

-Yogart (daily)

-Brown/White Rice (reason is it helps keep bowl movement together)

-IBGARD pepperment pills (Good for upset stomach and IBS and acid reflux). Can buy at Walgreens or just google and order online.

-Probiotics (the kind that require to be in fridge and have Bulgurian yogart)

-Milk Thistle

These are tips i received. We shall see how it works.  

• Posted

Don't jump to conclusions. I had mine out in May of this year and had some of the sameproblems. You may want to go back to the doc and make sure you don't have any stones in your common buile duct. Sometimes the stones will escape and work their way into the common bile duct during gallbladder removal. You may need to have an ERCP and if they don't find stones, they can do a sphincterotomy and that shoudl clear up an odi problems. BTW, the ERCP is a walk in the park 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.