Please Help Me

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sorry I am back again, I have suffered with health anxiety for the past 20 years but at the moment I am really bad worrying about my mouth, I grind my teeth so badly they are begining to break.

Any advice or help would be appreciated

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi if you see your dentist they may help, I know they will do a mouth guard (rather like a gum shield) to sleep in to prevent night time grinding. Not great tbh but it works if you can sleep with one. Other than that the GP to get meds to calm you down and deal with the anxiety/
    • Posted

Many thanks I cant get a mouth gaurd as I only have a few teeth at the bottom in the front.

Will try and get some meds to calm me down, any suggestions

• Posted

Grinding teeth is anxiety. Till this day I grind my teeth, especially at night. It's so bad to the point where my mouth and haw are so sore in the morning and I feel like I can't open my mouth as wide as I used to. It's a sign of anxiety. You get so tense that you grind your teeth together. As for your teeth breaking? It's either your grinding your teeth too hard or you're really hurting your teeth. Do you have sensitive teeth? I broke mine accidentley biting into a cherry rolleyes go to the dentist and see if grinding your teeth is causing you damage. You're okay though and this is anxiety.

Good luck!

• Posted

If you go to the dentist they should be able to give you a mouth guard (they do both hard and soft ones) which will help to protect your teeth when you grind xx
    • Posted

Sorry I didn't read that you can't use one before posting. In which case the only real treatment option you have is to get the anxiety under control.

I have the same issue, but I don't think I grind due to anxiety as my anxiety is under control. Since I have ground my teeth down now to the point where they are beginning to crumble and nerves are starting to show, I think the plan is to remove all my teeth and give me new false teeth. It will involve some pretty heavy duty surgery but eventually they will be able to screw my new teeth in place and things shouln't look any different. And at least I wont have to take my false teeth out at night like my Grandma does lol since mine will be fitted permamently in place.

• Posted

Wow it is great to hear from someone who has the problem.  Can you please let me know how I would go about getting my teeth all removed and new ones screwed in?  Is this only done privately?

I look forward to hearing from you

• Posted

I am very lucky and mine are being done on the NHS. Privately I would imagine it would work out extremely expensive. So if you live in the UK it might be worth seeing if they will do it on the NHS, however if they wont it may work out cheaper getting health insurance, and seeing if they will do it on that. However it gets tricky as many place wont cover you for a problem that started before you got the health insurance out. If you are on certain benefitst or you should be able to get it done free, if not you can speak to your GP who may be able to advise you how to go about applying to your local authority trust to see if they will cover the cost of the treatment. You would need to be able to prove to them that there is a good medical need to have it done which shouldn't be too difficult, but letting them know how much the problem is affecting your confidence and how living in pain is making you feel etc will all help.
  • Posted

Hi Jean,poor you! I too have suffered from Anxiety for many years,and also grind my teeth! I am on propranalol, these are Beta blockers. I am on 80 mg twice a day!I also have reflexology every other week.Aromatherapy too is also very good for anxiety. Are you in the UK? Your local health food shop will have things like rescue remedy and Bach flower remedies!. Try and listen to relaxation CD s.Walking and swimming are very good for anxiety. Regards Amanda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.