Please help me with fluoxetine, feel like i am really going mad

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I am new to this site, but i dont know where to turn. I have been on 20mg fluoxetine for 4 weeks now, i have had every single side effect listed. My anxiety went off the scale, I was pacing the floor at 3am, my husband has been amazing. I had terrible thoughts of harming myself and others, that has all stopped now. GP gave me 2mg diazepam to help me through it which i think really did help. I am so tired all the time. I get the kids out to school and come home and go straight back to bed. I have been signed off work with another injury, i have not told anyone i was suffering from anxiety. I really hoped i woudl start to see some positive results now, 4 weeks in and still nothing except side effects, they yawning is ridiculous. I feel like I am worse on this medication than i was before i started taking it. The anxiety has decreased, the really bad side effects have def decreased. but i feel like i am letting my family down, I have no motivation to do anything, everything is a struggle. Sorry for ranting so much but i dont know what to do, is this normal? some people have said they felt better after 2 weeks, what is wrong with me? I dont want to stop taking them as I still feel they might start working for me, but i am not sure how much more i can take.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Wendie, first of all it sounds as if this medication just isn't working for you. You still need to have a normal life and the tiredness it's causing will in turn make you depressed. I've been on a huge long list of medications. My depression was diagnosed at 19 and I am now 35. I also have anxiety/panic attacks and go into deep depressions. Not every medication is suited to everyone. I had terrible side effects with all of them apart from sertraline. It's important to go back to your GP, don't be fobbed off by them explain that you wish to try another as they just Arn't working. Kids wear you out also. I also suggest also getting some excellent multi vitamins as depression and anxiety can lead to you being generally run down. Don't forget every time you get stressed or anxious that drains your body of energy. You have to let your rational thoughts take charge of the behaviours and physical side. 

• Posted

thank you so much Katie, I just didnt know where to turn, i have read some other posts where people have said it has taken 7 weeks for prozac to kick in and really help, I am scared of changing to another in case i experience the side effects again, i dont think i could go through that again, my GP hasnt even asked to see me again, i thought when you went on this type of med they should keep an eye on you. My husband has been such a support, he had some mental health problems some time ago and so he has been a great support. I do feel that the tiredness is excessive, he is doing everything round the house for me. I dont  know how anyone could cope with this on their own. Thank you for your reply its a help to know someone else out there cares
    • Posted

No problem believe me I've been there. What they are meant to do and what they actually do are two different things all together. Stick with it but give it until a cut off date then if you are still exhausted go back to your GP. When I was on this I was terrible and I got immune to it really quickly. At one point I was on the maximum dose and was always dropping things. I was like the joker on Prozac and permanently smiling but not feeling it haha! It's trial and error believe me. I hope it works out for you.
  • Posted

Hi Wendie 

i know how you feel believe me, the first few weeks are the worst , like you i had every side effect going! and even now after 9 weeks im so tired and yawn all the time! i actually thought i was worse after starting the pills but i have to say my anxiety and depression has definately improved although i am still experiencing some side effects- i feel like i have vertigo at times! go and see your Dr he will probably say to give the fluoxetine more time as they dont start fully working for 6-8 weeks but maybe like katie said the pills are not for you he will be ablr to advise you, keep in touch and hang in there you are not alone, good luck, shaton xxx

• Posted

ps wendie 

im sure your G.P should have arranged a follow up appointment when you started these tablets i have been back three times to make sure everythings ok and to discuss the side effects so dont take no for an answer love and demand an appointmenment- good luck sharon xxx

• Posted

Hi Wendie.  My doctor changed me from Cipralex to Fluoxetine about three weeks ago, and I am experiencing the same symptoms as you.  I feel like a zombie.  If it doesn't get any better, I will go back to the doc, but it is difficult as it seems you have to give these things time ........ however, it is not good to live life like this.  I would suggest that you go back to the doc and see what he/she suggests.  Good luck, and we are all here for you! xx
  • Posted

Hi Wendy I feel your pain honey. My side effects were terrible and I cried me a river of tears and shook all over most of the time. My Doc gave me Clonazepam 0.5mgs as well as my Fluoxitine 20mgs and it took the anxiety and shaking away. My brain isn't funtioning normally and my family have a great list of things that I have done that we will all laugh about one day, my boss is happy to have me back at work even thouhg we all agree I am not going to be employee of the week for a while. Yes by the end of the day I am exhausted and I sleep 10 hours every night but it has improved so much. Talk with your Doc and take a support person with you. Love to you this is rough
  • Posted

Hi Everyone, thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to me. I havent been on here for a couple of days as we had a death in the family, the day before the funeral i was a total mess, sitting rocking back and forth and wringing my hands. I phoned the GP but he said i was still in the very early days and to stick with it but gave me diazepam 2mg which i have been taking and they do help. I managed to get through the funeral ok but then was a mess again when i got home. In the morning my hands shake terribly, like I am an alcoholic in withdrawal. I have been signed off work for 12weeks as i have to have an op on my wrist, which i am relieved about as i could not function at work like this. My memory is shocking, and i would be worried about driving. I appreciate all your help, when Prozac first came out I remember people saying it was a "wonder drug" I dont remember any negative press about it, but i would certainly tell someone to very cautious before starting it. At the moment it has taken over my life  and not in a good way

• Posted

Hi Wendy 

so sorry to hear about your bad news.... i have been on fluoxetine for 9 weeks and still get the shakes its as if i have been starving myself and have to ear immedietely! my mood has definately improved im much happier and relaxed but still suffering from side effects, keep in touch with your G.P love it may be that these tablets are not for you but i know what you mean about them taking over your life! my memory is bad too and i do question whether i should be driving at times.... but on the whole i do feel better i didnt realise how depressed i had become until today when my daughter said that she was so upset as i paid little attention to my first granddaughter, i was mortified !! i hadnt realised! now i take her out all the time and spend as much time as i can with her so i guess the tablets must be working so hopefully they will for you too, let me know how you get on wendy good luck sharon xx

• Posted

Hi Wendy 

so sorry to hear about your bad news.... i have been on fluoxetine for 9 weeks and still get the shakes its as if i have been starving myself and have to eat immedietely! my mood has definately improved im much happier and relaxed but still suffering from side effects, keep in touch with your G.P love it may be that these tablets are not for you but i know what you mean about them taking over your life! my memory is bad too and i do question whether i should be driving at times.... but on the whole i do feel better i didnt realise how depressed i had become until today when my daughter said that she was so upset as i paid little attention to my first granddaughter, i was mortified !! i hadnt realised! now i take her out all the time and spend as much time as i can with her so i guess the tablets must be working so hopefully they will for you too, let me know how you get on wendy good luck sharon xx

• Posted

Hi, I havent been on in a while as i was in hospital having surgery on my wrist, i thnk this has actually been a good thing as it meant i had a "genuine" reason for lying down and doing nothing. I am recovering well from that surgery and also feel like i am starting to make progress with the prozac too. I actually managed to take the kids to the park for 2hours the other day, its still a bit of a struggle to motivate myself to do anything but at least i am starting to do things again. The anxiety is getting better too, the main thing that makes my anxiety kick in big time again is when i start thinking about going back to work, then i start getting that awful feeling again. I also can sleep all day if i was able to, i slept until 11.30am yesterday when i got up my husband was starting to prepare the kids lunch, but i am also on painkillers from my surgery so i think they are making me tired too. Anyway I guess the main is that I think things are starting to improve, thank god, maybe another couple of weeks will make all the difference.
  • Posted

Hi All, its been a week or so since i have been on the forum, have had a few blips. I am now 10 weeks into this medication and i still feel that although things have improved from when i started them and had all the awful side effects, things are not bettert than before I started taking them and was just managing on my own. If that makes sense?

The side effects i am mainly suffering now are still the tiredness, i wake up very late if the kids dont come and jump on me, still having upset tummy every other day and the odd shaky hand episode. The other night I had a mad notion that i had to lock up the house, my husband said he would do it, but i kept asking him, are you sure you locked the back door??? I was so anxious that those doors needed to be locked and i have no idea why.

It is a great support to know there are people on here who know what this is like and although i am not on every day i do find it a comfort when log on and read the comments, its also a learning curve as i had never been through anything like this before, so thank you to all those who have commented to help me through. I will be back soon to see how you are all doing, and i hope the next week sees better improvement for me, i have a big family wedding to attend next saturday, if i get through that, it will be a big achievement

• Posted

Hi Wendie

sorry to hear you are still feeling those awful side effects, i am on week 17 and for the first time in months actually thought to myself while driving to work im loving life, something i never thought i would feel just a couple of weeks ago, my friend is on week 8 and is where you are, feeling sick no motivation bless her but if you could just bear with them a few more weeks i am sure you will feel better i remember going through ehat you are and even considered coming off them but im so glad i didnt i hope this helps good luck and keep in touch love sharon xx

• Posted

Hi wendie.

So sorry to hear you are still feeling like this. 

I am just ending week 4 and still feel bad as well.

I have gp appointment this morning so will let you know how I get on. I have a feeling she may up my dose. Has this been suggested to you yet? xx

• Posted

Hi Wendy. I hope things are improving for you. I was on Fluoxetine but like you had all the side effects going and actualy felt worse. I cried a river and shook so bad my teeth rattled not cool at all. My doc decided I was one of those peope who had an adverse reation to the drug and changed my meds. I to was so scared of starting a new drug because the thought of starting over again and risking more side effects was truly terrifying. I eventualy realised I needed to. I have been on my new drugs for four weeks and though I have had some side effects they are managable and nothing like I experienced on Fluoxedine. It will take another 2 months for my new med to take full effect but it was worth the risk. So if you need to juggle your meds a bit don't be scared just work through it with your doc . Lots of positive energy coming your way from me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.