Please help! Severe upper abdominal pain comes in waves with nausea

Posted , 10 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am out of town on business but am in desperate need of help/advice! I will get straight to the point. I have always suffered with nausea my whole life; it comes and goes but rarely escalates to vomiting. Well last night it got the point that I had to vomit and it was very projectile-like! I felt relief for about 5 minutes but as I went to lie down I was hit with extreme severe pain in my upper abdomen and my rib cages right below my breasts. It could barely breathe, my vision was even impaired from the pain, my whole body went into a sweat, I was shaking, the pain was truly unbearable! This lasted about 5-7 minutes then subsided. I immediately started salivating like crazy, still felt sick to my stomach but didn’t have to throw up again. I actually spit up a little blood (very, very little). Then not even 5 minutes later, BOOM! Here the pain comes again. Exact same spot, upper abdomen radiating to the sides of my ribs under my breasts and a little in my back but not very much.  The pain was unbearable. I tried moving my body in all typed of positions to see how to get comfortable but nothing worked, I had to just wait for it to pass. And after a few minutes it did. But this whole process repeated about 5 times last night lasting about 2 hours total.  My stomach feels so tender and bloated. I am hungry but terrified to eat because I don’t want to trigger another episode! Is this acute pancreatitis or gallstones? I have done a little research and it seems to be the only symptoms that match. I know I shouldn’t self-diagnose but, that’s why I joined this thread. I am away on business, and if this pain comes back I will have to go to ER because I cannot deal with the pain again. But if this is acute pancreatitis or gallstones, and I can do a liquid diet until I get home in 2 days then see my doctor I would rather try to do that.  Please, any advice I will be so very grateful. Thank you! I am a non smoker and do not drink (allergic to alcholol).

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

This certainly seems like GB problems, but as you say there is potential danger in self diagnosis.  I would advise a doctor consultation asap.

​In the interim go low fat, avoid coffee and tea, fizzydrinks,  and eat frequent small meals.

• Posted

Sorry you're feeling so bad. I would arrange to have an abdominal ultrasound to see if you are having issues with your gallbladder. I got my answer right away; it was full of gallstones. I had mine removed last Friday so still at home recuperating. Def get it checked out because it doesn't improve on it's own. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi, Sarah, sorry to learn you're going through these problems.  If the pain, nausea and vomiting return while you are out of town go to the ER. Bleeding is a concern.  If you can do a liquid diet till you get home and succeed that might work.  But definitely go to the ER once you get home as you will need tests before the problem can be diagnosed, and only an MD can order those.  Best of luck!  Let us know how you do!

• Posted

Definitely sounds like a gallbladder attack. I thought I was dying when I would have mine. The blood part is a bit concerning. I would definitely try and see a doctor asap. Try and be careful as already mentioned as to what foods you eat. Avoid acidic, spicy, coffee, etc. sorry you are hurting. I can relate
  • Posted

Thank you all so much! I was able to get to a market before work and stocked up on jello, gatorade, water, and soups with 0.0-1.5% fat. Going to stick with that for the next 2 days. Praying that I dont have another episode before I make it home and to the ER. Definitely going straight there when I get home. I don't want to mess around with this. Thank you again for replying so quickly! smile

• Posted

Hope you feel better Sarah. I'm on Day 4 after surgery and I can already tell that my symptoms are gone. No more heartburn or pain on the right side. Just soreness from the surgery itself. Let us know how you're doing.

• Posted

It does sound like gallbladder attack, same thing happened to me years ago. Not only did I have gallbladder disease,I was passing gallstones. the pain was unbearable, took my breath away. The surgery is very common & recovery is quick! Good Luck & Best Wishes!!!

• Posted

Hi Sarah .... These are similar symptoms that I suffered for several years, until towards the end of 2014 and into 2015 the pain was really unbearable; I've given birth to two children and the pain was much worse than childbirth!   Eat zero fat which should help a bit until you get  home when I would advise you see your doctor who can arrange for you to have a scan.   I truly hope you avoid another awful attack.  Sending you best wishes.

• Posted

Just wondering if you saw a doc and got diagnosis? Dealing with something similar:
  • Posted

hi sarah hope you are feeling better since you last posted. i agree w/the others. def sounds like GB. ihad mine removed a year ago. prior to surgery every day 4 approx 2 yrs i experienced nausea and minor punch/twinge across upper stomach. i never knew this was symptom of GB. i expected the sharp pains that everyone else describes so i treated the symptoms homeopathic and saw a natureopathic doc. finally when nothing was working i had scans, scopes and it showed gallstones. the davinici robot removed the GB. recovery was easy although im still experiencing reflux problems. hope you are doing well. this is a great discussion group.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up