Please help, stomach issues

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am a 21 year old male with chronic anxiety. I have had severe health anxiety over the past 2 years and the last couple months have been making things worse. It all started when I started to notice that i was belching after eating oily foods and it was a 1 time occurence every couple weeks. Before this I would always eat really fatty foods and never watch my diet without having problems. All of a sudden my stomach started acting up when I ate and caused me a lot of flatuence after meals as well as constipation/diahhera that occured every so often. I went to the doctor after to see what he could do for me and he said he wanted to do a blood test. I did the blood test and my Amylase and Lipase levels came back about 2.5X the normal limit. The doctor said he suspected mild pancreatitis and should clear up on its own. Now the 2 main causes of pancreatitis are excessive alcohol and gallstones. I can tell you first off that I do not drink so we can eliminate that off the list. Secondly, I had an ultra sound of the abdomen and the results all came back normal. The doctor tested me again 2 days later and said all the results came back well in the normal range. I went back a week later just to do another random blood test and everything came back normal again. He told me not to overstress because if it was any worse I would be in a lot of pain but I wasn't really in pain just discomfort in my stomach. This was about a month ago and my anxiety has still been getting to me over the fact that I was told about having an issue in my stomach that the cause isn't known and the stress only made my stomach worse. Now about a month later my stomach has still been acting up after I eat. It is making a ton of sounds that sound abnormal to me but after researching people are saying that its normal to make sounds during the digestive process but mine seems excessive and I can feel bubbles in my stomach like gas pockets moving around.I have come to conclusion that I probably have some sort of food intolerance that my stomach is acting up to. It could be soda,milk,or anything else that could be irritating my stomach which I have been trying to limit in my diet. Just need some advice what you could reccomened me to do. I am tired of going to doctors, its stressing me out even more. If you guys have any advice I am open for it such as a change in diet or something I can take to help my stomach after eating. Thank you for your advice.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ask doc to refer you to a  gastroenterologist and have an endoscopy of your stomach.  you might have a stomach bacteria that is causing your problems.  At least the procedure would rule that out and then you could begin to experiment with food.  You might also have a food allergy but unless you rule out a stomach bacterial infection, you can't be sure of anything. 

• Posted

You can have an HPylori test done with a saliva test.  Why go through such an invasive procedure if you don't have to?  The risks of complications and infections are great here.  I would ask for that first.

• Posted

Have you tried a food diary and did your doctor mention IBS? Food intolerance, bowel habit change and stress and anxiety are IBS symptoms.  If all your tests are negative, IBS can be diagnosed.  Stress makes symptoms worse.
  • Posted

Hi Mike,

You might want to try the low fodmap diet. I was getting no where with doctors and no diagnosis for years. I found one online and within 24 hours I was feeling better. I now have been diagnosed with IBS-C and a doctor referred me to an app I use on my phone from Monash University for the low fodmap diet. It has helped a ton. My worst food triggers are dairy, wheat (I use spelt now), beans, soda, caffeine, and chocolate. Everyone is different, but the low fodmap really helps.

Hope you feel better soon! It's not fun getting sick.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.