Please participate

Posted , 10 users are following.

There are so many negative stories about depression, the nhs, stigma ect.

I wanted to add some positives to the experience. 

Have you had any positive experiences with medication, therapists, something positive that happened to you as a result of the whole situation, made new friends, took a new career ect?

Please comment and add your positive.

Mine is:

Through having depression and anxiety I have become a more compassionate person. If I think I can help someone with some friendly advice, I will. and if I have no idea what to say I will reassure them that I am just there. Ill bend over backwards for other people because I know what its like to reach out and want help. Although both experiences have been unpleasant, i temporarily traded my confidence and happiness so I coud permanently have compassion and empathy.

What's your positive by-product?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi sarah its not a nice illness but i have become wiser with anxiety go to groups and met lovely person who have become my family and support and they call me mummy i have also learnt to meditate and have learnt to love my self unlike some people who dont suffer this illness 

julie x

• Posted

I found group therapy worked really well for me, it made me realise I was not alone until that point I was worried I was going mad and thought I was the only person having panic attacks.

I have been able to help others and am much stronger from my experience, however, I have been unable to help my husband who may be bipolar of having major depression, this has not stopped me helping others.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, 

Depression has many layers and each layer brought its own gift. The most beautiful one was the knowledge that we are all mortal...and therfore what was really of value, and what not to me personally.

When we go through the breaking apart ourselves, we can be truly present in the pain and /or suffering of someone else. That is the gift of depression. And as i shared that gift more and more, meaning came back to my life. I now stop to hear birdsong and encourage everybody to do the same.....

Our time here is limited....live it every moment. Then our life experience becomes sacred.

• Posted

My depression started when I was young, I was apprehensive about speaking to my GP and although there wasn't much discussion about what I wanted do (probably mainly to do with my hysterical crying at the time), she was understanding about it. I was put on medication and given therapy quite quickly. For me, the courage to go to therapy weekly was hard but it helped. The medication and therapy combined helped me and I have since learned a lot about myself and managed to deal with my depression without medication and therapy. Winters usually hit me hard but I am more prepared and ready for proactive defence against that. I've learned what keeps me happy and busy but that people shouldn't stagnate in their lives and do nothing, it's not good even for people who don't suffer with depression. So I've got hobbies and interests that are new to me and I make sure each month is very social. I've started to read a lot of psychology books as one of my old tutors once said that she recommended therapy for everyone and that knowing one's self is the most important thing of all. Reading these books, I can see it truly is and I'm definitely seeing myself a lot more clearly.

I work where I have a lot of interaction with people who have mental health issues and I am very compassionate due to my own struggles. When I started to see people smile as I mentioned my own problems and ease into feeling comfortable with me, I didn't feel as awful and that 'why me' feeling faded. I'm sort of grateful I've gone through depression in some ways, I have a mother who has suffered with depression for years and my partner slipped into a major depression this year and I can sit and talk about it with them and understand each of them. If I hadn't have gone through it myself, I don't think I would have been able to be as supportive as I have been because it can be so trying at times and if you've not been there, it's not easy to understand unless you've educated yourself about depression and mental health.

No new career or friends yet but I definitely understand the psychology of the ones I already have.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Thanks for starting this post, how lovely for people who are suffering to come across this rather than all the negatives. 

4 years ago I was in therapy and signed off work for 6 months with social anxiety and depression. I never thought I'd get better. But with therapy and citalopram I became stronger than I could ever imagine, got a new job, made lots of new friends and am getting married next year. I'm struggling with anxiey at the mo again, but know I've been through it before and can come out the other side.

Good luck to everyone in your journey x

• Posted

I think I can have very dep feelings, which a lot of people don't have.  Seeing others happy brings joy to my life and knowing there are many like us who may besuffering, but are loyal and true to our word and always there to help others in need.  I also appreciate sunseets more than ever haha smile
  • Posted

What a lovely post Sarah thank you for that.  Mine is the same as yours.  I am a better person for my depression coz it gives me empathy for others who are suffering this or other illnesses.  x
  • Posted

Good idea to put a positive spin on it. 

My positive would be the times I talk to people about it, and there's that total understanding and warmth. 

And the good times are extra good!

and it's encouraged me to start yoga and meditation. 

Slowly learning to take care of myself!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.