Please read! Extreme, extreme bloating and pain

Posted , 12 users are following.

My husband has had extreme bloating and pain for about 4 months. He looks like he's pregnant. He's had every test I can think of including an endoscopy and colonoscopy. His celiac test came back negative but he still tried the gluten free diet for a month. He's also tried the Fodmap diet along with many prescription meds. Nothing is relieving the bloating or pain. The pain areas vary. He's extremely uncomfortable and frustrated. Anyone have any suggestions at all?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Turmeric, you need the sort with piperine, check it online.
    • Posted

I've been taking turmeric for my ibs. It has helped. I can't talk him into it. Pipeline? I will definitely look that up. Even if for me...and not my husband. Thanks.

• Posted

Apparently the body doesn't absorb Turmeric well but when combined Piperine which is a substance in black pepper the Turmeric absorbs well, I suppose you could just have some black pepper with it.

• Posted

Try tea of ginger with probiotics chamomile. And mint it has help me a lot with the bloated stomach and getting read of gas. I drinking in morrning before i eat n at night before going to sleep. Maybe it would be a good idea to stop drinking cofee.

• Posted

Thank you. Right now we're trying the peppermint oil capsules with ginger. I can't tell him to stop coffee right now. He has two cups in the morning. He quit smoking 2 weeks ago so he has to gradually take things away.

• Posted

The caffeine is hard I quit the diet soda cold turkey that was easy but coffee that was hard still miss it but even without my bloating never seems to go away but the pain comes and goes IBS sucks of course I have other issues with mine I have gerd and a Hitaial hernia and Sibo and I was losing weight good luck to your Husband hope he feels better
  • Posted

I posted this before but it disappeared. I'm pretty sure it's from the smoking cessation. I put a link below but if it doesn't get approved I just Googled "smoking cessation and gastrointestinal problems". It lit up full of info.

• Posted

He's been bloated for 4 months and quit smoking 2 weeks ago.

• Posted

There is a food or drink causing the bloating I think. The sweet tea has caffiene. That is a bowel stimulant plus has sugar. Both can bother people with IBS. Is he IBS-C or D? He might want to ask about Bentyl for the spasm pain which can also help the bloating if its related to the spasms and not the drinks or food. I have recently been put on elavil for IBS D. Have not taken it yet but will report results. Have read it helps many D sufferers. I hope your husband starts to feel better soon. I do sympathize... A LOT! He isnt alone with this bowel curse lol
    • Posted

He only started drinking sweet tea when he gave up alcohol and soda. He was on so many diets without sugar, without dairy, without high glucosend corn syrup. He'said a bit of both. Diarrhea and constipation bit more so IBS-D. Bentyl gives him terrible side effects. He's tried a few meds. I did find two new ones. Not at home so don't have the names right now. I think he needs more exercise and less carbs to help. Lol.

• Posted

I'm having a similar problem. I unfortunatly get bloating but also hunger that doesn't go away, no matter how much I eat. I did get diagnosed with gastritis, but even when taking nexium bloating has not reduced and hunger began to start up again.

I find it very hard to lose weight and put on weight as well. Even though I am on a strict elimination diet. I have had every test under the sun as well.

I am doing a elimination diet, but I certainly know acidic foods and drinks are a "no, no". I had to give-up coffee and tea. It helps when I really keep to a low acidic diet. It doesn't always help, but a lot of days are better because of it.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you haven't found a cure.  I've been researching the internet for so many months because he's had every test imaginable.   

He gets shoulder surgery in a week and I'm afraid he's going to lay around and gain more weight.  I guess since I'll definitely be in charge of the grocery shopping I will have control over what is here to eat.  

He is gaining weight.  I think he needs more exercise too.  We were just at the beach for the weekend and did more walking than we're both used to.  We realized how out of shape we really are!

I really can't jump on his case too much because he did give up smoking cigarettes and he stopped drinking soda.  He only has morning coffee.  And sweet tea has sugar but is better than Mountain Dew and Coke.  The peppermint oil capsules with ginger were helping with the bloating "feeling" but over our vacation he didn't take them.  And overall, I do think he needs to cut back on some carbs too. 

If you find anything out please let me know.  Seems you've got a bit more willpower to keep researching unlike my husband.  Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.