Please say I'm not the only one?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a university student and the prospect of going home for Christmas makes me feel ridiculously anxious - lump in throat, nausea, shaking, tight chest, belly ache, feel paralysed with anxiety

What makes it worse is that I can't pin point why I'm so anxious. I think it's a combination of:

- Loss of independence

- Feeling trapped in the house and town itself

- Constantly being surrounded by people who I don't think understand how I'm feeling 

- Fear of feeling/being sick, therefore not eating with people and being different

Anyone feel similar or have any tips? I'm going home on Sunday. I feel like I'm just waiting for time to slowly past to January when Christmas is over and I'm back at my university home

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy please don't think you're the only one who feels like this! I have lots of your symptoms of anxiety but not for the same reasons. It's stress. Be kind to yourself and try and not stress about your situation. Easier said than done I know! To make it easier for yourself....please yourself! Don't try to please everyone. Float with however you are feeling and tell ur self this too will pass as it surely will! Try and enjoy Christmas. I'm trying my hardest! Good luck . E. 
  • Posted

Hi Amy Just a thought that your primary fear could be the fear of being sick -called emetophobia. There is lots on the net about it . I know someone who suffers in this way Hope you feel better quickly 
  • Posted

Going back to your home town can be terrifying. You are a new person now you moved on. Your family might annoy you. I feel the same when I go back to Cork.
  • Posted

Its hard when you have independance, and going home means parents rules etc. it can be anxious time to leaving boyfriends / girlfriends behind
  • Posted

No ure not alone, I know these things all too we'll - especially the lump in the throat, I hate that the most! All I can say is therapy helps me, others prefer meds - whatever it takes to deal with the root anxiefy
  • Posted

its realy crazy but sometimes even small changes makes me panic too.you r changing your place.maybe you just want to be in your comfort zone thats why you r like that now.
  • Posted

Hey 

ya I understand how you feel 

I get the same feeling when I'm nervous about something I just either want it to happen already or get passed it

I like to think of the good things that come with what I'ma about to do like in your case the good things about your family what you like 

It always takes the worries out of me 

I hope it helps a little because I know exactly what your talking about I have that every single day and it's not a pretty feeling

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.