please tell me this isnt true.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I really need someone to answer this

I read a comment where someone said alot of young people die from complications with acid reflux ger, young or old is this true? I have only had it for a year now this week, but im so worried.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No! How old are you? Im 22 and been suffering for 8 months
    • Posted

Yeah I realized that after hitting reply. Are you sure its acid reflux? Have you done the endoscopy and biopsy?
    • Posted

Yes i did one in may , it came back as slightly irrated but its very mild he told me to "cut the crap" eat diffrentley i didnt need the pills then they said i get it again because i stopped taking the pills im going to a new gi next week hopefully she can tell me what is not working.
    • Posted

Im waiting to do the endoscopy and biopsy! Should I be scared? What do I expect? I'm very stressed about it rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi

I had a endoscopy and biopsy August, I was really stressed about like you as didn't know what to expect but the staff were lovely and it wasn't as bad a I thought, small tip "have the anaesthetic " they will give you a choice to have it or not. It's very quick only 2 minutes.

It's over before you know it.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Dont be!! Im so anxious i asked a million questions but the anesthesiologist was very nice and before i knew it was out and i woke up and everything was good. A little froggy after but it went smoothly.
    • Posted

Thanks! I feel much better now. I am mostly scared about the results but all doctors said not be worried as its nothing serious, but somehow it doesn't make me feel any better!

If I take the anesthetic will I still know what is happening or I will be completely asleep?

• Posted

When I had mine I wasn't completely out of it but to be honest I didn't really know what was going on, I was talking lots then before I knew it I was feeling very relaxed and nice!

Please don't worry about the results as like your doctor said it won't be anything serious. X

• Posted

Do not worry. Follow the instructions. Do not let them use that drug to empty your stomach. I have heard it has side effects. Not sure, of course. They usually tell you not to eat for several hours before the endoscopy instead of using that drug to empty the stomach, which is better.

You should not be scared. Even (in the worst case) Barrett's can be removed. Don't worry. But I hope you do not have that.

• Posted

That's the first I've heard of that and I've had it for about 2yrs and im 34. To be honest I'm not sure how true that is.
  • Posted

You must keep things in context.

Frequent reflux of acid and bile into the oesophagus can cause permanent damage = Barrett's oesophagus.

About 1 person in 100 has Barrett's but only one in ten of them know it.

Barrett's Oesophagus has the ability to mutate through stages of dys[lasia to cancer. Over a period of 20 years, there is a 5% chance of developing the cancer if the pre-cancerous condition hasn't been identified.

Those with Barrett's should receive regular surveillance every couple of years to check it shows no signs of mutation. If dysplasia is found, the affected cells may be removed using radio frequency ablation.

We must identify those with Barrett's to prevent deaths from cancer. Waiting until symptoms of the cancer are observed is too late.

I've had reflux problems all my life. I'm now 68 and know I've had Barrett's at least 22 years. Mine hasn't changed and I'm sure I'll still have it when I die - of something unrelated.

• Posted

Hi Barrett's. I'm going for an endoscopy. Having difficulty swallowing, after swallowimg the naseau comes. Then there's a pain in my back. I'm afraid it's Barrett's. I was on omeprazole, then dexilant, felt better then discontinued the meds till I felt bad. Now it's back with a vengeance. Feeling so nauseous. Never felt this bad
  • Posted

I have never read about that, but keep in mind your only cure is eating food that does not trigger your personal problems so the best way is to eliminate any food that could be creating the problem and one by one put them back in your diet to see which ones are hurting you. Medication gives you immediate help just 25-50% of the time but eating better is the only cure.  Their is many books and articles about this but to start with eliminate Gluten and Dairy and go from there.
  • Posted

hi karen, acid refulx seems to be a problem for many whether they are aware of what's causing the issue or not. mostly an issue for older folks >40. however, it's very treatable. don't worry be happy.

• Posted

Thank you for this, it honestly helped to hear that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.