Pmr fatigue and back pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello I am so happy to find this group. I think I was living with pmr for about 2 years. Last year I ended up with bilateral frozen shoulders and the pain was unbearable. I have been in physical therapy for the last six months with great improvement and my Dr just diagnosed me with PMR 5 weeks ago. Was started on 15 MG prednisone and the pain was so much better and the stiffness in my shoulders is better as well.

My question is the fatigue seems even worse, at times it feels like I can barely function and now over the last 10 days extreme pain in my lower back. After reading on this site I switched to taking my dose at night for a week and that didn't change the fatigue and left me somewhat painful during the day so I switched back. I also have mgus.

Has anyone else had back pain ? Shouldn't the prednisone help this. Is extreme fatigue normal, I thought the prednisone would help this too.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have luckily escaped both back pain and fatigue since I went on Pred third week of December.  I'm getting a bit of both now that I've stareted tapering. For me the fatigue comes and goes, can't really explain why.  I assume that the old back pain are back because I've dropped below the dose of Pred that  was taking care of that. Also, have tried some new streteches that haven't agreed with me.  Going to to back to my regular qi gong routine.

Are you still on 15MG or have you started tapering?  

• Posted

Sorry for the typos.  DH is calling me to come to the door.  We are heading out for diner.
    • Posted

Okay so your pain and fatigue went away right away? I was hopeful as the pain left so would the fatigue but for me seems almost worse. sad I tapered to 12.5 after three weeks but increased back to the 15 and holding for now to see what happens.
    • Posted

I never experienced much fatigue.  This is such an individual condition.  I have very high markers and fever and bilateral shoulder and groin pain.  I didn't feel as fatigued as just plain sick.  At 15mg I began to get better.  I had much less stiffness and almost full range of motion. I still had some pain in the right bicep (never has gone away completely, but not a real problem).  I think that I probably should have stayed there rather than going up to 20.  My markers came down to normal after 20 and that was what my Rheumy wanted. But that means my total GC  is pretty front loaded.  I'm at the three month mark and just down to 14 for 5 days.  Rheumy wants me at 14 for two weeks before dipping 1mg to 13. 

Not sure what criteria to use to determine if I'm ready to go down to 13 per the schedule.  

I think I had a paradoxical reaction to Pred.  It actually calmed me.  And I slept very well with it from the third night.  If I happened to awaken around 6am  to use the bathroom,   I could feel the cytokine dump.  I also woke up feeling a bit anxious.  Since going on the night time delayed release Pred I don't feel the cytokine dump anymore and awaken in better state.  (Except today, day 5 of the taper to 14mg)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.