Pneumothorax & Pneumonia help please.

Posted , 2 users are following.

To cut a long story short my father, a fit and healthy 56 year old had a minor trip on his way back from holiday. He didn't think much of it and brushed it aside. However 3 weeks later he was admitted to hospital with breathing difficulties.

It transpired he had broken a rib which had damaged his lung, causing a Pneumothorax & Pneumonia. He has now been in intensive care for two weeks. Initially he showed signs of improvement, however last week his breathing deteriorated to the point he's now on a ventilator. Despite antibiotics the infection is getting worse.

As you can imagine this has been a deeply distressing situation for me, the Drs seem to be saying they think he will pull through but to look at how I'll he is and now on life support I'm fully expecting the worst, I can't understand why the infection isn't clearing. I wondered if anybody has been through similar and has any tip or advice, Thanks.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

My sister in law went through something similar. She was on life support for around three months and they did not really know what the problem was although it was respiratory. In the end she got transported to the Brompton hospital in London in an intensive care ambulance, I think they are few and far between! The Brompton seemed to have excellent doctors and they slowly got her going again, she was in her forties when this happened. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.