PNR question

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok, I’m fussing again. Had a patellar femoral replacement 9/20.  Bend is good, straightening is good.  Stairs are still painful as is kneeling.  On the outside of my knee it is continuously swollen; acknowledged by Dr and PT folks.  The Dr said it’s fluid. Is there ever a point where this fluid is drained?  I am just feeling like this is what is pressing on everything and making it very uncomfortable.

I am going back to work next week, I mostly sit at a desk - that is a whole other set of issues as I have discovered sitting for any length of time and then trying to get up and walk, well that’s fun!  

I’m thinking I need to see the Dr one more time before I return to work and ask about this fluid/swelling?

Anyone????

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ellen49890! I had the same surgery 6/2/14. Within six weeks, was able to return to all normal and previous activities, but I still had some swelling if I over did things. When sitting at a desk, I alternated between keeping knee bent and straight every 15 minutes. I also used ice packs that could be held in place with a short wrap of some sort. All helped with swelling and stiffness.

By all means, I would try to see your doctor one more time. It is better to be safe than sorry.

• Posted

Hi I had a TKR on the 21st September and my main problem is swelling. Today I'm trying KT tape to help reduce swelling and I was amazed how quickly it started working. I saw a big difference in just 20 minutes. I thought the swelling was the main cause of the pain I was experiencing but unfortunately it wasn't. It may be worth giving a try x

• Posted

The PT folks put KT tape on me every week and it didn’t seem to help!
    • Posted

It would be easier for you to google it there are also YouTube clips to show you how to apply it. I got the KT Pro because it stays on for 5 days and you can shower in it. Well I think it has really helped with the swelling. I'm going to go for a walk today and just sit down to see if it keeps the swelling at bay. That is my biggest problem x

• Posted

Thanks, my son is a physical education teacher and originally athletic training.  We have used lots of KT tape or Rock Tape.

My physio guy would put new on me each week but it wasn’t making any difference so we stopped after several weeks.

I am going to get with my Dr again before going back to work.  Have you ever had that feeling that something just isn’t right even though they keep saying it is ? 🤔

• Posted

Ellen, my knee is still swollen too. The surgeon never mentioned fluid but just spoke about nerves being cut and it was still early days. He didn't seem the slightest bit bothered or surprised with it

• Posted

I've had the KT tape on now for two days and it has stayed in place. I've given it a good test today, I've walked the dog without my stick, and I've walked to the local pub and sat for a couple hours and walked back with no swelling. Last week I did this and I was in agony when I left the pub because my knee had become swollen. Didn't need my stick either but I took it just in case. I'm really impressed with it 😃

• Posted

Good deal, people swear by it and it’s also used by a lot of pro athletes!

• Posted

I'm definitely going to get it and give it a try. It intrigues me that I walk around the house like normal but once I'm out without my stick I get sore quite quickly. I think I'm being over cautious and putting strain on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.