Pooping after hemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I cannot begin to thank the thousands of threads on here that I spent hundreds of hours reading while I am in the most excruciating pain from my hemorrhoidectomy surgery. I am 33 years old and got this completed on 08-apr and while the overall general pain seems to be subsiding the pain leading up to, during, and after a BM kills me. I am sweaty, panting, heart rate goes up over 120, and I want to pass out from the pain and pressure. I've become constipated and have upped my fiber, taking stool softeners, avoiding the oxy they prescribed me, and have been alternating tylenol and ibuprofen for pain management. Each time I go to the bathroom, I can only manage to get about half to a thumb size poo to come out and even then its sooooo painful! I am out of commission after bowel movements, I am cold and omg the muscle spasms that feel as if youre being stabbed with a hot blade!!! when will pooping feel normal again? is it soon? I cried so much on Sunday the first day I had a BM after surgery, the anxiety of feeling the pressure build up to go has me crippled.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I'm so sorry for you. You are definitely in the thick of post-op BM's. They are horrible and everything you described was actually what was happening to me, almost passing out from the pain. The first 2-3 weeks were the worst for me. Surprisingly, my first BM after surgery was nothing what I imagined and not bad at all but that wasn't the case for the 2-3 weeks that followed. I can't say it enough - take those stool softeners religiously, and also a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil 3 times a day. Any time I missed a dose of either, I paid for the it the next day. I continued to take both for at least 2 months. I am 3 months post-op and can finally say I'm so glad I had the surgery. Hopefully you can look back and feel that way as well; hang in there, it will get better!!

• Posted

thanks so much for the reassurance- i actually put off this surgery for 3+ years when it was first suggested to me. I am single so my primary care doctor recommended that I get this under control before I meet someone and try and have kids because they would get worse!

my sister is my care taker during this time, and lets just say my whole family will be upping their fiber intake to never have to go through what they've witnessed me go through.

honestly, the only thing that keeps me going is this forum and knowing that many others who have undergone this surgery feel the same as I do. No one knows what we go through until

you go through it!

I am to return to work in 2 weeks and I do not understand how I am going to go to the bathroom without my momma frida bidet and sitz bath. I can only hope one day that my bowels return to normal, nothing feels clean down there!

• Posted

I put my surgery off for a few years and finally gave in. I'm 57 years old, very active, and the hems were ruining my life. They started with the birth of my first child 28 years ago, and only got worse as time went on, so you were smart to do it now. While initially they were internal, it got so bad that there was one prolapsed, which is when I decided on surgery. I never felt clean down there before surgery, and even more so during recovery. After every BM I got in the shower and cleaned the area with a hand held shower head, that was the only thing that made me feel clean. I hope you're ok to return to work. This forum is wonderful to help people realize that no, you aren't crazy with what you are going through, and it is worse than most people could have imagined. Hang in there and good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.