POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE DOES IT HELP RECOVERY

Posted , 11 users are following.

I would like to throw this into the mix.

i went back to work today at 6 weeks TKR . I was really scared as my boss has low tolerance for anyone not working on full throttle. I have to stand up most of the day. I have come home hardly able to bend my knee and back pain but I so enjoyed being amongst people again

with no complications my knee is perfect it's everything surrounding it needs to mend.

i have been feeling really sorry for myself and I am wondering if that's done more harm than good. 

Do you think it's ok to push yourself just a bit further than you think. Obviously not being silly.

i wonder if we really do need so much rest.

I empathise with those who have had complications.

what do you think

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Seems as though Fran and I took your post differently 😁 I got the impression you were happy to be back at work despite your knee feeling painful and stiff.

I guess it's mixed - maybe 6 weeks is a little soon but yet seeing your friends and co workers clearly cheered you up!

Do what is best for YOU

• Posted

I didn't want to go and was really worried about it all night . I didn't really have a choice but in a way I'm glad because it pushed me into having to work through things and was good to be active again joining normality
  • Posted

What age are you?  Good for you getting back to work.

i think attitude is everything.  I start each day fresh.  They dont all work out but its important to keep trying.

• Posted

I'm 55 . Definitely worth keep trying. I have had some humdingers of low times . I was wondering if there's a benefit and almost forcing yourself through it and pushing through to the next stage. I was kind of forced to today and it did me a bit of good
    • Posted

Oops my reply was deleted.  You should be a personal trainer as you have come through so much .  Best person to guide.

carol 62

• Posted

Don't tell anyone but I have Personal Training and sports massage certificate but because I can't move so well I went more on the Sports massage trail. But only do it part time. Haven't done any for a while because it's been hard to stand and deliver.

not sure about carrying on with that side. See what happens biggrin

• Posted

I think you are great going back to work. I popped into work this morning as my physio is on the same site as the hospital I work in. I felt a bit like an outsider but maybe it's me being sensitive.   It as nice to speak to people again and it does make you feel more normal!  
    • Posted

I think it's hard Susan because when we go away for the op we go through a life changing process of several weeks but things carry on as normal for them . Everyday things. And we're not part of it for a while.so when we come back into their world everyone is slightly different. Takes a while to get that common bond back again .

• Posted

Yes that is it.  I never ever thought something would affect me the way this has. I am tearful, frustrated at having to have help and so tired all the time. It roll get better I am sure when I can sleep😳
    • Posted

But it will get better and things will be better than normal before you know it x
  • Posted

Hi mate - interesting post! I have had numerous knee ops over the years and have put off having a tkr even though I will need one soon. I have always made sure to get back to work ASAP against all opinions from docs / wife etc. I put up with the pain but in the end always ended up with complications due to me going back to work early or doing too much - my advice - do not rush back to work! Take it in your own time - no one in work will thanks you and u have to live with the consequences if things go wrong 
    • Posted

Thank you that's good advice. I will be careful.
  • Posted

Mindset is very important  but so is patience and faith that our bodies will heal over time. I would check with your doctor and physio to see if you are jeopardizing recovery by being on your feet all day. I have been in your position after other knee surgeries and I believe my knee paid a price for it. I am at 8 weeks now and am experiencing a bit a plateau for improvement. I am able to walk and do aquacize but my knee swells and is very stiff most of the time. My physio cautioned me to take it slow so I do not injure myself. This time I am listening and not standing or walking too much. Swelling is your cue to take it a bit easier as we do not heal well when swelling is continually present. I try to keep a good attitude and do my physio while accepting small improvements. It has worked for 38 years of periodic knee surgery (12 or 13) and I trust that I will have similar results this time as well. Keep up the good work and positive attitude and you will benefit. Easy in theory but this takes some effort to do. Best of luck!
    • Posted

Wise words Thank you . It's always good to hear from people with lots of experience.

i am being phased into work 21 hours a week for the first month. I can't really afford not to work and I think my bosses patience is wearing thin as I have already had 7 weeks off in the summer from mother operation. I'm on my own so I need to keep going 

• Posted

Mindset is very important  but so is patience and faith that our bodies will heal over time. I would check with your doctor and physio to see if you are jeopardizing recovery by being on your feet all day. I have been in your position after other knee surgeries and I believe my knee paid a price for it. I am at 8 weeks now and am experiencing a bit a plateau for improvement. I am able to walk and do aquacize but my knee swells and is very stiff most of the time. My physio cautioned me to take it slow so I do not injure myself. This time I am listening and not standing or walking too much. Swelling is your cue to take it a bit easier as we do not heal well when swelling is continually present. I try to keep a good attitude and do my physio while accepting small improvements. It has worked for 38 years of periodic knee surgery (12 or 13) and I trust that I will have similar results this time as well. Keep up the good work and positive attitude and you will benefit. Easy in theory but this takes some effort to do. Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.