POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE DOES IT HELP RECOVERY

Posted , 11 users are following.

I would like to throw this into the mix.

i went back to work today at 6 weeks TKR . I was really scared as my boss has low tolerance for anyone not working on full throttle. I have to stand up most of the day. I have come home hardly able to bend my knee and back pain but I so enjoyed being amongst people again

with no complications my knee is perfect it's everything surrounding it needs to mend.

i have been feeling really sorry for myself and I am wondering if that's done more harm than good. 

Do you think it's ok to push yourself just a bit further than you think. Obviously not being silly.

i wonder if we really do need so much rest.

I empathise with those who have had complications.

what do you think

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just read the other replies and I definitely can relate to many sentiments! We are all going through similar experiences. I must admit that I pushed myself to go back to work in the past because I ran my own business and couldn't give my duties away for long (retail ladies wear store). I took a financial hit every day I was not there. This time I am blessed with being semi-retired at 55 and able to make recovery my main focus right now. The difference in quality of life has been amazing to say the least.
    • Posted

That's great to hear. Hope it gets better and better for you
  • Posted

The big problem is as we all know that if people havn't had a TKR they have no idea what it involves. 

I have a desk job (finance) and am fortunate i can work from home. 

I have done so since week 3

I am now @ week 8

Before the op my boss expected me back after 2 weeks 

Until i told him different and emailed him a picture of the op and an article highlighting the difficulties and the fact that it is the most painful of ops.

his whole attitude changed and he had been amazing. 

My team send me work via courier and include little treats and call me for a chat. I can't wait to get back to them in another 4 weeks. No way could i have returned sooner! 

I need to lie down when i want to. Apply ice, massage etc. 

How could i do that at work? 

I'm lucky i know but it's educating people that helps! 

• Posted

I must say I am feeling a bit worried now I have gone back too early. But I really feel my boss wouldn't be impressed if I took any more time off.

i want to change jobs layer in the year but in the summer I saved up my holiday and had two extra weeks making 7 all together. Then I've had 6 more weeks off for knee.

i really can't afford any more time off. And my job is working on the shop floor serving people in a small independant shop. Not even sitting at the till. We go to the customer and show them where stuff is and do demonstrations.

so iam a bit backed into a corner nut listening to above comments I am scared it's going to do long term damage

• Posted

I think that quite regardless of how well our surgery has gone, it takes time for the body to catch up.  I went to see my consultant on wednesday, it's about an hours journey each way, and by the time I got home again I had to sleep for two hours. I think the problem of going back full time at six weeks is that it will not give your body the time it needs to heal, and, how will you fit the exercises in?  Could you not do say four hours a day three times a week and see how that goes before you launch into long hard days.  Hope you get lots of rest this weekend. x 
  • Posted

soobeedoo -- in answer to your original question, i do think that a positive mental attitude contributes to the way we heal.  i also think it is good - within limits - to push ourselves both physically as well as mentally as the comfort zone we imagine is way way further out.  having said all of that, we have to recognize our bodies limitations.  i think that's the tricky part: finding just the right amount of optimism and realism.  this is different for each one of us.  personally, i could not have been standing all day at week 6.  i had two jobs but both sitting down so it kind of worked.  only kind of.  next knee i will be in a permanent, 100% job which allows me to have 6 full weeks off sick ... none of this going back to work at week 4 for me anymore.  i have learnt from my mistakes but by the sound of things, you are planning on a way out too ... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.