Positivity

Posted , 4 users are following.

Trying hard to get back the positivity I had a few months ago, but don't know how? Any ideas that have worked for you would be worth knowing.

I don't know what caused the downturn.  I had been focused, cheerful even, but now I'm back to everyday being a struggle. Meds aren't helping.  I have brief periods when my depression lifts, but they just never seem to last longer than a few hours, if I'm lucky.  Yet a few months ago I went days, even a couple of weeks without feeling like this.

I'm trying but it's so hard.  Any ideas, anyone?? Please

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

It may not help, but your symptoms are what most of us feel when we are in this state. Up one day, down the next, or up one hour, down the next. It's enormously frustrating to know & feel what it's like to feel "normal", when those periods are so fleeting. On occasions, I can feel the life draining out of me, like I am a waxwork figure melting, my face & eyes being pulled down. It can happen in seconds & feels horrible. I take the meds, [Citalopram & Propanalol] & I think they do help. This morning I feel really good, first time in weeks, but the realisation that it won't last is depressing in itself. I am going to go out for the first time in a week. I will take advantage of this good day/hour/minuite, whatever. They say walking, even in the rain, is benefitial for depression, we'll see.

Go with the flow, expect the bad times & rejoice when the good times come, no matter how short. Do something when you feel ok, go for that walk, it doesn't matter where you go, you will have achieved something. I live alone & motivation is really difficult. Maybe we could help each other?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I feel for you. It's so hard to stay positive when life keeps flinging poop at us. I'm holding on to the one good thing in my life and I'm only just coping. I wake in the morning determined to feel positive but it never lasts. Try to hold on to the good things in your life no matter how small and remember that there are people who have things worse. It might not help you feel positive but it might help you be less negative. It works for me. If anyone has a cure for negativity I'd be happy to pay for it 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, deaver:  Gosh, you really sound like me.  I was born with depression and anxiety 67 yrs. ago.  I don't know where it came from...My sister says it must have come from a previous life...lol....I have good days and bad ones, and sometime even a few years without depression at all..I, like you, feel like I'm melting or on an elevator going down or stuck between floors.  I am on Luvox and Cymbalta for depression.  I got really stupid about a month ago, and didn't think I needed the Cymbalta...WRONG....I began to feel anxious and angry...that is not like me because I'm very easy going.  I live in the USA, and I generally enjoy life.  These last few weeks have been hell on earth, so today, I started back on my Cymbalta..never again to mess with my meds...I just got tired of being so sleepy every day...I would rather be sleepy any day than to be depressed....I am like some of the others...I give thanks when I feel "normal" and try to go with the flow when it strikes...Just know that it won't last forever...I feel like I'm in a deep, dark pit when it hits me hard...God bless and hope you feel better...Know that you are NOT alone...
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up