Possible Acute Pancreatits turing into chronic

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey everyone!

i would like to thank everybody here on the support they give to their fellow sufferers. i hope that everyone feels great!

i will try to explain my issue in a short form.

FEB 2018 i went on five day trip. i drank every night like 5 to 6 beers. On the last night i over did it with hard liqor thinking that i will not drink until the next vacation/holiday. Anyways, after the night ended around 3 am, we got to fast food resturant for late dinner and after a couple of bites i had a severe stabbing pain just below my right ribs. the pain would last for 10 seconds and desappear for like fe mins or so. then, it hit again for 10 seconds. this lasted until i got to sleep around 5 am. i was able to get good sleep, when i woke up it was fine up until i had lunch. after lunch the same pain in the same area and the same way of 10 seconds few mins pattern happened. i looked online and Pancreatitis showed up. i thought my pain was not severe to the point of hospitalization so thought if the pain presist after going home (i had a flight that day) i would go to hospital. well, the pain was gone when i got to the airport like around 6 pm the same day. this was all on the 24th of FEB 2018.

the following 4 days were okay with no pain at all but was feeling fatigued the whole time. so on FEB 28 i decided to get blood samples for amalayse and lipase (through private laboratory ) and the results were normal. i thought maybe it was a bad case of gastritis, especially that i had a prior endoscopy in OCT 2017 which confirmed gastritis.

During the last year, i have been dealing with severe acid reflux and bloating and mild abdominal pain and always put it up to gastritis. however, the last few months i have noticed that my stool is often bulky, sticks to the toilet wall and has strong odor.

i told the my doc my current symptoms and he requested an ultrasound for the abdomen which was normal expect that the pancreas was not visible.

my question are:

1- Do normal amaylase and lipase levels after 4 days of onset of pain rules out acute Pancreatitis?

2- what test can be done to rule out chronic Pancreatitis now?

i am so confused since i was never diagnosed with acute case and so i dont want to requests tests based on my thinking and self diagnoses.

thank you in advance for your support and sorry for the long post.

DALE

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

forgot to add, i never touch alcohol since that night and plan to never do regardless of outcomes.

• Posted

Hello, Dale i've had chronic pancreatitis for about 3 years and mine started with acute and a month long hospital stay. I can only try to answer your questions with my experience. I had a pancreatic pseudo cyst that kept landing me in the er. They would always do a ct scan and that is how i new i had chronic pancreatitis, through a ct scan they can see the pancreas and also see scarring. I have alot of scar tissue which goes hand and hand with chronic pancreatitis, but a ct scan will let them see your pancreas. As for an acute attack, if that didn't land you in the hospital then i would say it probably was not acute. Acute pancreatitis is so painful i don't know if you could've sat that out at home or wherever. That's the case for me, every time i would get acute i would end up in the hospital for 2 to 3 days. I hope this helps and good luck my friend. Watch that drinking and smoking. Those are major problems for pancreatitis......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.