Possible dermatographism

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello. I seem to have developed something like mild dermatographia. When I scratch my skin, it first goes redish then a white raised line appears. It is not too itchy but it looks like hives. It goes away after 30-60mins. This started happening after a combination of months of high stress and consecutive courses of amoxicillin and augmentin. I used to take cetirizine daily for allergies but was given fexofenidine by my gp as it is apparently stronger, so I take this every day but it doesn't stop these lines appearing on my body. Maybe I should go back to cetirizine? It does seem to be getting a little less severe each day now but I was wondering.... when a typical person scratches themselves with, say their nail, what does it look like? Pink line? Red line? White line? Any raised skin at all? I can't remember because I never paid it any attention before and google searching "normal arm scratch" is unsurprisingly unfruitful! Also if you get this from stress or a drug reaction, how long will it go on for. I'd quite like it to stop because I freak out when I see red patches, lines and wheals on me randomly!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I was diagnosed with dermographism. Been told to take 2 x 120mg fexofenidine daily and add ranitidine if necessary. It is expected to go away by Xmas. After one week of this regime it seems more under control.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.