Possible diagnosis waiting of polymyagia rheumatica question

Posted , 17 users are following.

My Gp suspects PMR and I'm awaiting blood results at present but he started me on a 4 day course of prendidalone to see if it resolves it.

How long was it before you felt any relief from starting prednisalone at 15mg per day?

Just trying to prepare folks.

Thanks in advance.

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Felt a little better in a few hours, and third morning couldn't believe how well I felt!

• Posted

Thank you Anhaga I'm currently on day 2 so hopefully tomorrow may be a preferable day.

• Posted

My GP started me on 50 mg prednisone until I had a  test for temporal arteritis (Giant Cell arteritis....taking pieces of arteries in temples out to examine ) They were not inflammed so they dropped the prednisone to 40 mg for two months, then 30mg then after a month to 20mg (having blood tests every month recording CRP for inflammation) Then after another month to 15, then another to 10mg......my CRP was normal......but then I got stupid and reduced too quickly to 5 and then to zero within a month...too fast....PMR returned....CRP test came up 18.5 last week so saw a Rheumy and she told me to go back to 10mg for two weeks to see where the CRP will be...I am in pain...hips hurt, neck hurts, shoulders ache...tough to walk...I KNOW that CRP is STILL too high and I need a higher dose of prednisone...and will get another CRP test Monday...she will raise the doseage, I assume to 20 mg. to see if the pain goes away....Impatient!!! I re-start AGAIN trying to get inflammation under control , CRP level to normal, and THEN  I will begin to reduce SLOWLY>>>>>no matter the side affects.....

You should feel relief after a few days on the prednisone....

• Posted

Hsnkyou Jean. It certainly sounds like a rollercoaster ride then. I hope you can find a good level very soon . my Gp wasn't sure and with the weekend he wanted to try something whilst bloods being analysed. I do feel slightly less pain as I was day in floods of years thinking I want do this anymore a couple of days ago but I wasnt sure what sort of difference to expect plus being a diabetic with numerous other issues I believe that's why a low dose steroid stsrt least until bloods back.

• Posted

Hi Clare, I am so sorry you are in so much pain. A normal starting dose for PMR is 15mg so it seems you are on the right track. Some start at 20mg, particularly if you are a bit chunkier! I hope you get the magical relief I did. In my case it was fifteen hours twenty five minutes.
    • Posted

Thank you Ptolemy . I'm so pleased you found relief fairly promptly thats great . Thank you for your confirmation on the normal route for this condition.

• Posted

I think a lot of people have relief even faster! Although they say around forty eight hours, some may take longer or need a higher dose of steroids to get the inflammation under control.
  • Posted

Hi, Clare:  My impression is that most people react within a day to a dose of 15 mg, which is almost diagnostic of PMR.  Certainly more so than bolld tests!  However, 15 mg did little for me.  I was better at 20 mg, but needed 25 mg to get substantial relief.  (I am small and not that "chunky."wink  My doctor began to question the diagnosis though I was 100% in line with all the symptoms.  Within 3 or 4 months, I was down to 15 mg and doing fine.

Some diabetics have a serious potential problem in taking long-term steroids. 

One of the watchwords on this forum is "everyone is different!"  PMR is extremely variable and how individuals experience it and react to medication varies considerably.  All the best!

• Posted

Many thanks snappetblue for your reply . I have looked up bits before finding this forum and diverse is certainly true. Thank you once again hun.
    • Posted

So, Clare, did you find resolution with the prednisone? Inquireing minds want to know! question
    • Posted

Hi we Day 4 was kick in day for me. Major reduction in pain , old life back bloody amazing 😊 but sadly now day 7 and not sure if heat 28degrees here at present or steroids but really not feeling great but pain is still a lot better than before but I also have a very stressful marriage, I've been catching up with all the things I've not been able to do and may have overdone it a bit. Got to go back to doc in 3 weeks for progress check. 😌

• Posted

"I've been catching up with all the things I've not been able to do "

That is why you don't feel so good. The pred doesn't cure the PMR, it manages the inflammation which relieves the swelling and pain. The disease itself continues in the background, attacking your muscles and causing damage to tissues.The muscles remain intolerant of acute exercise.  It's the same as using Lemsip and stuff to make you feel better and stop the sniffles when you have flu. The rest of managing PMR is up to you - you have to pace yourself and rest appropriately otherwise you will feel bad.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pacing-in-chronic-illness-some-useful-links-that-explain-it-and-how-to-do-it-516000

And google the spoons theory by Christina Miseriando

And treat yourself kindly...

• Posted

Thank you Eileen will look at the link in a bit. I know the spoon theory due to m.e and fibro but sadly I'm also a tad OCD and with noone else to help I just get what needs doing done if I'm well enough but at my own cost. I'm yet to really study this pmr and I know I've a lot to learn as I thought it was pain flares up meds get taken it settles and all done but it may pop back to visit. Thank you for your guidance on this and I'll click your link shortly. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.