Possible GERD

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello - I am 49 years old and going through peri menopause- has anyone experience GERD type symptoms and major digestive issues?

I just can not stop burping and am just so bloated - not sure if this is normal or not.

I seem to be getting so many different symptoms each week.

Have a lovely evening.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi MeandBell - Unfortunately, many people suffer from it me, included.  Spent quite a few visits to Urgent Care thinking I was having a heart attack & it was GERD.  Try to start eating a lot of fermented foods & start taking a probiotic...that should help.  Antacids reduce the acid & that is not what you want to do.  For the bloating Try taking activated charcoal it really helped me.  Hope that helps!

• Posted

Hello - thanks for the great information.  Such a challenging time in life, was at a walk in clinic and they just will not listen - adviced I should be checked for an ulcer; I will do the test however know that is not my what I have.

I will given the activated charcoal a try.

Hope your day is going well.

• Posted

Yep! I’m 49 too and since August I have had a sore throat and the need to clear my throat because of constant mucous ! It’s reflux! I also get occasional burning in the throat and sick coming up! It’s bloody miserable xx
  • Posted

Yes, unfortunately this can be a symptom of peri and if you already had it (I was diagnosed with GERD and Gastritis about 20 years ago) your symptoms can be greatly exacerbated.  I am dealing with a horrible flare up right now.  It hurts to eat or even drink water.  The constant bloat, burping, etc.  The general belly ache from this can be very stressful.  To combat it I take a PPI, eliminate caffeine, gluten, dairy and try to eat very low fat meals and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.  It does take awhile to get the digestion turned back around, so don't be discouraged if it takes a few weeks until you start feeling better.  I also drink ginger tea and honey and that seems to help relax my belly.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this!  I hope you feel better soon.  Big hugs--Sarah

• Posted

I'm going through the exact same thing and scaring myself silly its something worse. I have had this on and off all year and then I get a flare up. i had a large curry with chocolate for pudding and alcohol (yes the worse things ever) about two weeks ago and have been suffering since. I have been to the doctor who has put me on daily omeprazole for a month to see if this settles and I have to go back. She said it is possible menopausal as some women suddenly become sensitive to a huge amount of foods which they have eaten easily over the years. I have removed spicy foods, onions, tomatoes, chocolate, some breads, alcohol, coffee and tea and felt better. Then a few days ago I was at a party and ate buffet food again (all the wrongs things) and the symptoms returned.... It could also be a hiatial hernia but I think my digestive system needs a complete rest. So now eating small meals and very plainly to try and let it recover. I also have had heartburn, mucusy lump in the throat which is worse with the bad foods. Honestly getting older (48) is just a delight! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.