Possible IBS? :(

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello all.

Here for some advice regarding my stomach, if you all would be so kind.

Since last Wednesday, I have been running to the bathroom multiple times a day (5-7). Sometimes, it gets to the point where there's nothing left and my stomach will cramp almost like a dry heave. It's mostly watery and my anus will burn intensely. I tend to get sweaty and dizzy feeling; and my stomach will also burn. Every time I eat, my stomach hurts and I run to the bathroom shortly after so I've been afraid to eat anything other than crackers and applesauce.

At the moment, I am bloated and my stomach hurts and is tender if pressed on (upper area below breastbone). I keep belching and my stomach is still burning.

I have had this happen to me before but only for a few days. Never this long. I know I need an upper GI and I'm working on getting one but in the mean time, does this sound like IBS? Or should I be more concerned?

Thank you.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mostly Gastritis. Is the pain in stomach moving ?
    • Posted

Hmm, move in what way? Because sometimes it feels all over the stomach and sometimes it feels right at the top like I described. But I'll get pains in my stomach almost like gas pains moving throughout except afterwards I have to use the bathroom.

• Posted

I should probably add that this flare up started after taking medicine for a UTI that really made my stomach burn.
  • Posted

Should be gastro and acid reflux. How was the nature of stool did you see mucus on it ?

Drink plenty of water and if more diarhea take imodium once. Until you visit dr.

Try to emergency if you are not able to tolerate.

• Posted

Yes there was mucus. It was mostly watery with some soft stool but when I wiped I saw the mucus. I keep going through 1 day of constipation then days of diarrhea then another day of constipation and that's been on repeat the last week.

If not better by the weekend, I'm going to go to the ER. Not sure what they'd do for me though.

• Posted

you need to be careful, this drastically reduces your weight and you will become weak.

what are your intake ? you should take easy digestable foods like Rice bread, rice, cooked veggies, apple, banana & pommegrante. 

Avoid alcohol, geseous drinks, nuts, raw veg, sugar.

Add yogurt and probiotics to ease your stomach.

drink 3 nodes of garlic milk in every other day to remove gas from stomach and respiratory sys.

• Posted

It could be IBS.  Try a food diary to see if you have problem foods and see your doctor for diagnosis.  Don't worry because it will make your symptoms worse if you have IBS.

• Posted

I'll have to try that when I can eat real food again without my stomach making me pay for it ugh. I'm still on apple sauce and bananas and bland food because anything else still makes it hurt.

• Posted

You could also try introducing small amounts of new foods one at a time to see if you react to it.
  • Posted

Hi Hayhue, I think you should contact your GP. It may be a tummy infection or it could be the way IBS manifests with you.Either way it will bring you peace of mind. As has been suggested eat only very bland food so as not to risk aggravating your stomach. I'm sure it can be sorted out very quickly by your GP.

• Posted

I went to the ER and they did Bloodwork and my blood levels are ok so no stomach bleeding; WBC is a little high at 12 but it was mainly ok so no infection; he said no twisted bowels; and pancreas and liver are okay. I was really dizzy but they gave me fluids and now I feel a lot better so I must've been dehydrated. They also gave me Pepcid AC but it didn't do anything. So Monday I'm calling my doc to get a referral for the GI doc.

• Posted

Ditto to what Pippa says. I know all these symptoms and shortly after I had these symptoms I lost a lot of weight very quickly, 3 stone, so be careful. Water helped me and exercise. I still get what I call the shaky sweats and sickness occasionally but more infrequent now. Water was key for me. Good luck
    • Posted

Yes! I get shaky and sweaty too when this happens.

How long does it take you to recover? This has been off and on since last Wednesday! I've been eating bland food but not much seems to be better except the multiple trips to the bathroom have decreased to 2-3.

I belched earlier and acid came up in my throat so I think my stomach hurts from it. Is this what a flare is?

• Posted

If It is a weekend I always feel so drained that I have to go back to bed for 3 or 4 hours. I was ill all the time so it was rare for me not to be in bed. When it happened at work last week I had to keep washing my face as I was struggling to stay awake and when I finally got in I was ill and later had some soup as all I could manage and fell asleep and woke at 3am this is because I was not able to go back to bed earlier so for me most days 3 to 4 hours  If I do not get this extra sleep I start to fall asleep anyway even at my desk. If suffering sickness at the same time sometimes I do not even make it back to bed and wake up on the hard bathroom floor. I know I am a nightmare smile It is not fun but I think this is how it must be for most people with IBS. It completely drains me and gives me a headache too. I just can not function I feel my body shutting down with tiredness, headache and shaking. 
  • Posted

Hi, just wondering if any medication you are taking could be causing your discomfort. I was taking amlodipine which I learned that I could not take on an empty or slightly empty stomach. I have now recently discovered that it causes burning feeling in my stomach as well as cramping. Pains on left side under my breast also a symptom. It also occasionally feels like a knot in my lower intestine. I'm having an ultrasound of my intestinal system soon but have discontinued the amlodipine and most of my symptoms have subsided.  ...hope you find your pathway to healing.  I can relate to your discomfort. 

• Posted

I've noticed that at times my PPI seems to make my stomach burn more but usually it helps. My thyroid medication hurts my stomach so I haven't taken it in 2 days which isn't good but I don't want my stomach to hurt sad

• Posted

Hi, just read an article that suggest some thyroid meds may cause intestinal issues, especially for lactose intolerant patients. ...may want to see if your meds contain lactose and if Doctor can change.  Agree about PPI Meds because I've experienced the same so now I eat bread, scrambled eggs to coat my stomach before taking it.  This seems to help. The bread appears to best coat my stomach. Oh by the way, to much fiber causes a lot of stomach problems for me so I have had to watch my intake of it. May not be your problem but thought I would mention it.  Some days are better than others but I'm trying to figure out what's causing this discomfort.  I thought I it was my heart at one time but ended up having a heart cath but it wasn't my heart. I'm having the ultrasound soon so I'll let you know how it goes. Hoping you feel better soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.