Possible IBS, Need Opinions

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 20 years old and male. The only medicaiton I'm taking right now is Zantac for GERD. The only procedure I've had done is an endoscopy that was to see if I had ulcers (I didn't, but I did have mild gastritis and was diagnosed with GERD).

Loud gurgly noises often come form my abdomen, usually accompanied by gas. I randomly feel and intense need to use the restroom at least once a day, but sometimes 2 or 3 times depending on what is going on during the day. Sometimes I will eat a large meal and have to rush to the bathroom only 40 minutes to an hour after. My stools are often pretty loose, and I never have any constipation. My sister has IBS along with a few other digestive problems, and she told me I'm about the age when she was diagnosed. I don't really want to deal with more medication, but it sometimes seems like it's getting worse every week, and I don't know what other actions to take. My diet is pretty good besides salt intake, which should be a little lower. I never change my diet so I have no idea if this is food related or not. I don't consume dairy products as I'm lactose intolerant, and I eat mostly grains, veggies, and fruit.

This is getting increaingly more annoying and it's caused me to not want to go back to college until I can figure out what is going on. I rarely leave the house as well out of fear I will have to rush to the bathroom. I need first impressions, does this sound like IBS or could it be something else? What else do I have to do to rule out other problems? Any thoughts or opinions welcome.

Thank you.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Please excuse my typing errors, I had to type fast.
    • Posted

You might want to get tested for Crohn's disease. Symptoms are a lot like yours. I speak from experience :-)

• Posted

You say you don't know what other actions to take, but you don't mention whether you have sought medical help. Have you? This is a very different set of symptoms than GERD, after all, requiring separate diagnosis and treatment, so a doctor's appointment ASAP is really the best thing you can do for yourself.

You might also consult a dietician, as it doesn't sound as if you are getting much protein.

• Posted

It sounds like IBS.  If a close relation has it, you are more likely to get it too.  You oould ask for stool samples to be taken for h pylori, get a celiac test and a colonoscopy.  Try a food diary to check for other intolerances.  Have you had any stress?
    • Posted

ps -- digestive enzymes can be helpful as well as probiotics and B complex.  You might consider asking doc to check your vit B12 next time you have blood work.  Just a thot.
    • Posted

Opps pippa, I put my response to zwald in the worng place.  My bad.  Sorry.
    • Posted

I can digest the vast majority of foods with no problem. Fatty and spicy foods can cause me on off trouble so I find the best thing to do is avoid these foods.  I find swallowing tablets very hard and there is always a risk, they will disagree with me.  If there is a bad reaction to be had, my stomach will find it.  My throat tends to spasm a lot when taking medication and tries to push it back out because it treats it like a foreign body.  So I only take tablets if I really need to,  I rely on what I eat to give me the nutrients I need because I rarely eat anything processed.  I don't have B12 defiency symptoms and in any case blood tests are also a major problem for me because one was done badly and left me in permanent pain and triggered IBS.  I have to go to hospital to get it down by experts because they are completely unskilled in my surgery.  Even when it was done properly in hospital, the nurse had to stop to treat the bad reactions I was having.  I go to my doctor only when I have to because it causes me huge amounts of stress.

I have Asperger Syndrome and I think this is where all these sensitivies come from. I have my IBS under control with stress management techniques  and Buscopan which is small enough for my throat to handle and very mild on my stomach. My IBS is entirely stress related.

• Posted

Thanx for sharing so much with us.  You have a lot to add to the discussions on this board.  I'm learning from you plus, I think I know you a lot better now that you've shared a bit more with us.  Glad you are here.

• Posted

Hi:  With a member of your family already (diagnosed?) with IBS your chances of having it double, I'm really sorry to say.  Sounds like IBS to me and I've had it over 20 years.  How is your stress level?  Have you considered having a colonoscopy to rule out any nasties lurking in your colon?  You prob. should try going on the low FODMAP or BRAT diet and see if either one makes a difference and try to relax  I know that's almost impossible with this condition, but anxiety is a definite trigger of the symptoms you metioned.  I know becasue my IBS is stress induced.  Change of diet, light exercise and maybe meditation or listening to relaxing music or reading sometimes may force your mind off of your gut and give you some relief.

• Posted

Very much sounds like ibs. Try cutting down on the fruit veg and poses and also limiting fats to see how this affects your diarrhoea. You can also try Imodium to give you more confidence when you have to go out.
  • Posted

Thank you all for the replies. I have considered changing up my diet a bit already by eliminating certain things one at a time to see if different foods trigger my symptoms. I also track my foods to see if I am hitting all my daily goals for vitamins, minerals, macronutrients, etc. I have also considered becoming more active and possibly getting a colonoscopy if it continues to get worse. My stress levels are usually pretty fine, until I start feeling unwell. Then I just get anxious and want to sleep it off, which doesn't always work. I guess it is just up to trying new things and eliminating old habits one by one to see if anything seems to help.

• Posted

It definitely sounds like IBS, that's pretty much how it was when I first started getting my symptoms. You may not feel stressed but you have mentioned above that now that its happening you feel fearful to leave the house in case of a stomach episode. That kind of high level anxiety will only make it worse.

Probiotics are always a good idea to help, there are targeted IBS vitamins out there which are good too (none of which should be harmful to anyone as they're vitamins to promote a healthy stomach) and just try to stay as calm as possible! Which is hard I know but try your best.

• Posted

I would definitely do the colonoscopy to eliminate any other possibilities. I have found that probiotics in capsule form are quite effective for reducing IBS-like symptoms. Worth a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.