Possible new flare up

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive managed my divi pretty well for about 18 months with no problems but over the weekend i had a bad case of acid reflux and had to take some Gaviscon because it was that bad,then today ive started with the usual,stomach pain feeling sick and frequent loose bowels,my question is can the acid reflux affect the divi and has anyone else had the same problem,?im feeling very down about it all.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Could be due to the medication for the acid reflux. What medication we take can cause huge problems for the dd - I had open heart surgery nearly 3 years ago for a leaky valve but had to tell them I can't take morphine, co-codamol, furosemide, bisoprolol etc so had to manage the pain on paracetamol !!! Co-codamol especially causes bad constipation. My heart rate was v high after the op so I did opt to go on bisoprolol low dose and take it last thing at night and seems fine. But basically any medication can cause a flare so just be aware of this. All the best to you and hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying but only took the Gaviscon,ive been to see my GP today and she doesnt think the divi flare up and the reflux are related ive been put on laprozamol for one week to see how i go on.I just hope my divi calms down.
  • Posted

Hi Yvonne, Sorry you are feeling unwell.  YES - acid reflux, heartburn to the extreme is associated with DIVI.  I have gone months not even being able to tolerate wearing a bra it has been so bad and the restriction of a bra at my sternum intollerable. Went for months and months before I finally had all symptoms clear. 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying,how did you overcome this?
    • Posted

A long and steady recovery from 1st of January until middle of May. I went on a 3 day clear diet to give my bowel a rest, then I ordered bland meals from a dietary service, low in salt and fat. Basically hospital meals. Small portions, soft plain meat and fish, basic mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and cooked veg. but no corn. In other words things that are very easy to digest.  I took a soluable fiber suppliment in very diluted juice twide a day, cut back on coffee and tea unless it was very weak, puree soups and beef or chicken tea.  Prescription antacid 1 or 2 times a day, and a priobiotic pill once daily. Over time it did get better.  I am very carefull what I eat, but have added in more fiber with cooked or cold cereals such a shreddies, canned fruit. Plain old meat and potatoes basically. No tomatoes, cheese, pizza, burgers etc. 
    • Posted

Thanks so much for the reply,do you still take the antacid?
    • Posted

Hi yvonne do you bleed with a flair I had a bad bout of divi at the end of may bleed 13 times over 3 days with and without bms have pain in my legs even now can hardle get upstairs and I had heart issues too felt like a heart attack felt really sick started getting pain in many y chest and left arm this was while I was bleeding doc put me on co-amoxiclav for a week but still having pains in my legs and the heart issues had 3 abnormal ecgs had ct scan of my heart and have to have an echo and 24 hr heart monitor dont know if there all related but feel so unwell and tired all the time

Hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,i did bleed a little before i was diagnosed and i was having frequent Diarrhoea but once i got it under control ive been fine,im feeling a little better today and the Lansoprazole has stopped my acid reflux,im just hoping when i come off it the burning doesnt come back because i hate taking medication.
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine,i forgot to say the one thing we all seem to have in common is that when we have a flare up it makes us all feel very tired,dont know why this is.You seem to have been through the mill abit,hope you feel better soon.xx
  • Posted

Hii Yvonne,  I started with 2 pills a day and then was able to cut back to 1.  Now, with the help of a strict appropriate diet for me I don't need to take any at this time. I do keep a prescription on hand in case I need them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.