Possible UFE

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having symptomatic fibroids for over a year now. I was hospitalized twice, and have had three blood transfusions. From June 2016-December 2016 I was on lupron injections which shrunk the fibroids. Its been three months since then and I've started having symptoms again (excrutiating cramps, problems urinating/bowel movements) had an ultrasound and found that the fibroids have already grown back and are bigger than before. My gyno recommended uterine fibroid embolization, but im not 100% on board. Ive read that in younger women (im 28) the risk of them growing back and having to have another procedure increases. Has anyone had similar experiences? I feel like if theyve grown back so fast after the injection that theyre just gunna grow back after the UFE. Thank in advance!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It is widely reported that hormonal injections to shrink the fibroids is only temporary and the fibroids have a tendency to grow back to their original size.  

UFE is not necessarily a permanent fix but it is a less invasive way of shrinking the fibroids with minimal discomfort.  The first week you will experience cramp pains that vary in intensity but it is bearable with the pain medication that will be provided to you.  The monthly cycles can be slightly heavy for the first few months but does get better, the fibroids are shrinking and in order to do this they degenerate and haemorrhage as they are dying.  The shrinkage is up to 50% but can vary from a small amount of shrinkage to up to 60% or more but if the arteries are successfully embolised then it is the symptoms that slowly improve.  

Dependent on what type of fibroids you have, location, number etc if you have bulk issues this might not change drastically as the fibroids die, shrink but do remain in the uterus.  The reoccurrence rate of new fibroid growth is smaller when compared to myomectomy.  

If you are being offered UFE then I suggested you grab the opportunity with both hands given your age as this is a minimally invasive procedure which is far better than major surgery (myomectomy) but just be realistic and research the potential outcomes and find a very experienced Interventional Radiologist to carry out the procedure.  If fibroids run in your family such as your mother or sisters then yes you will always be at risk from the fibroids growing back with [u]all procedures[/u] except hysterectomy (removal of your uterus).

• Posted

I also think ufe is a good option, just be aware that with ufe there is a small risk of the embolising particles getting lodged in the ovaries and causing early menopause. If you want to have children, myomectomy is probably a better option although tbe possibility of the fibroids regrowing is higher with myomectomy than it is with ufe.
  • Posted

I am the same, I have had multiple large fibroids causing horrendous symptoms for 3 years. I want children one day and I'm only 25 and so they have tried all options until now but it has only got worse. I have just had the results of an MRI scan and been told UFE may be an option but I am waiting for an answer and the only other option if I am not a suitable candidate is open myomectomy. They have steered me away from myomectomy and said the risk of a bleed could result in hysterectomy. Everything I have read on UFE states it is not suitable if you want children. So I would also be interested to hear people's responses on this. Plus I don't know anybody who has gone through this and would be good to speak to people that understand. I am sorry tiak1988 that I can't give you any answers!

• Posted

HI lauren i came across your discussion & felt like i needed to respond. I am 42 years old & found out i had uterine fibroids six years ago when my periods started getting heavier. At first they put me on birth control to manage my symproms. I got off the birth control because i could not stand the side effects. I was told to get a hysterectomy by many different doctors. I tried accupunture & herbs for a while which helped but didn't last & was costly. Last year i was told to do uterine fibroid embolization. I was told by the radioligist this would be it & how great it was. I went thru with it 2 weeks later i ended up in the hospital hemorrdging.They gave me an iv with transemic acid to stop the bleeding called in a gynecolgist to give me a d&c & i had a blood transfusion. Seven months later i still suffer from heavy periods. My new gynecologist was honest with me & told me the procedure does not work for everyone. I'm on transemic acid tablets the first five days of my period to reduce my bleeding but i dont want to stay on it because it is not good for the kidneys. The only options i have left are removal of the fibroids which they told me might grow back or a partial hysterectomy. The reason why i waited so long was because i never had any children. I have taken liquid chlorophyl for my anemia works faster than iron pills. It brings oxygen to the blood you can find it at any health food store. Lupron injections is only used to reduce fibroids before removal alot of these doctors are quacks. I wish you the best you are alot younger than me but i know what it feels like to suffer from this.

• Posted

Hi Sue, sorry to hear what you've been through. 6 years is a long time, I thought 3 years was bad! Where are you from? I have decided not to go for UFE since the radiologist explained there is no research regarding fertility after treatment. He didnt want me to decide anyway until I had explored all options. I actually found a profound keyhole surgeon and saw him privately a few weeks ago, he can't do keyhole but he seemed so confident and I should be having an open myomectomy soon. I don't think hysterectomy is your only option despite what your doctor has said. Obviously it depends on size and location but this surgeon explained hysterectomy is easier to perform than open myomectomy and some surgeons don't feel comfortable due to the risks. I don't know where you are from but the surgeon I saw seems amazing and reviews are all very good, do some research before you decide x

• Posted

And thank you for the info on liquid chlorophyll I will definitely try that. I have had 2 blood transfusions and 2 iron infusions. Currently on prostap injection which touch wood is working but I am already anaemia and like you said iron tablets take time!
    • Posted

Hi lauren i'm from n.j. i also was offered an open myomectomy my largest fibroid is 8 cm & is submucosal i was told that is probably what is causing the heavy bleeding. The chlorophyll definately works i had two blood transfusions as well. My hemoglobin was a 9 when i started to take it one tablespoon once a day in whatever drink you like. I did take iron three times a day but the way i bleed it didnt pick it up. Within a month my hemoglobin was a 15 they told me to stop taking everything because it was on the high side. If your going to take it just make sure to get your cbc checked within a few weeks because it works quick. I'm a personal trainer so im into supplements or anything natural that helps. Good luck if you go thru with your surgery my gynecologist has left it up to me if i want the fibroid removed or a hysterectomy i'm just afraid of recurrence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.