possibly misdiagnosed...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi eveveryone, this is my first time posting. The story is long so I understand if you don't want to read it all.

Anyway as the title suggest I feel although I have been misdiagnosed with major depressive disorder...I'll start at the beginning.

For the last 7 or so years I have had periods of lows where I can not get out of bed, can't not sleep but feel so tired, can't eat, feel hopeless, worthless and can't concentrate on anything other than my own misery. I nearly drooped out of university in my second year because I went through one of these low points and felt I would never amount to anything in life. This was the first time I visited a Dr back in 2009. He sent me on my way after telling him how I felt with nothing other than a metaphor about a swimming pool?!.. I know right. Anyway aside from these low lows I have times were I am incredibly energetic, I don't need the sleep, I have flights of ideas that I get carried away with way into the early hours of the morning. I have started numerous businesses with no correlation to each other for example a worm farm and a fashion boutique. During these times I spend vast amounts of money and I feel although I am moving at 100mph and every one else is moving to slow. My thoughts race and I am irritable with anybody whom I feel is trying to slow me down. I have quit jobs in both the low and high periods and Im definitely not in the financial situation to do so. In total, in the last 9 years I have had 16 jobs, bare on mind 4 of them years I was in full time education. Fast-forward a few years of the same mood changes and I give birth to my first child last year in September. I thought everything was OK until around the Christmas holidays, I became every argumentative and cried hysterically at the slightest things (red traffic lights) I hated myself, I hated my partner and felt I was failing at being a mother. Pretty soon I began to sit in the dark during the day, wouldn't open the blinds blinds, avoided contact with anyone other than my own parents, decided I hated my partners mother and the low mood set in. My own mother urged me to go to the Dr and explain how I had been feeling, I did so with apprehension given the last time. He listened and diagnosed me with post natal depression. I was given sertraline 50mg. Two weeks later it was doubled to 100mg. After 3 months and no change in mood he added a second medication of mirtazapine 15mg, same again 3 weeks later no change in mood and mirtazapine was increased to 30mg. At this point he referred Me to the CMHT and waited 7 weeks to see somebody.

I had that assessment last week and asked to speak to a psychiatrist as I did not feel the only problem with me was PND as I have had depressive lows before my baby was born. Incase told by the social worker who carried out the initial assessment my meds would be reviewed as they have had little to no effect on my low moods. Infact just recently I went through one of my high moods and nearly missed a flight because I just had to buy lots of duty free despite being on last call from my flight. I explained all of the above to the social worker and it is all outlined in the copy of the letter I have received that was sent to my Dr. but it seems it's all been overlooked. I'm a loss as to what to do and I find my low points are worse as I find I am now having morbid thoughts and feelings are just made invalid by people who are trained to help.

I know no one can diagnose on here but I just really had to get it off my chest. It seems I just take it lying down when it comes to medical professionals even if they misunderstood me. I'm even too afraid to ask for a second opinion as this is the second time I've been knocked back so to speak.

Thanks for reading, anyone had anything similar?

1 like, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

(((hugs))) and WOW! You have really gone through it.  Good for you to ask the questions regarding your past treatments and having the strength to reach out to find the answers you need. I am so sorry I can't help you as I am a newbie to actually seeking out diagnosis and treatment for myself.  As in 1 day newbie for Nervous Breakdown. I believe you will find so many people here are wanting to hear from you and give you all the support and advice they can to help you find the right way for yourself. It was through reading discussions here that finally gave me the courage to spill it all out to my doctor yesterday. Have read lots of stories and the overall thing I grasped was that each of us do have very, very similar experiences at times what works for one may not work for the other, but you can't give up.  Keep reaching out and asking, researching and find the professional help that works for you.  Your story reads of depression and manic highs and lows, apposite ends of bi-polar...not trying to diagnose by any means. Just thinking of forums subjects you might want to pop in and read.  I wish you all the best.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I plan on.asking for a second opinion based on the above next week. It just strikes me as strange that the community mental health team just think I have post natal depression. I know in myself this can't be true as it doesn't at all explain the highs and lows before my child was born. Ive just become disheartened as I always feel although I'm misunderstood or not taken seriously. However next week I am not going to leave the Drs office until he agrees to another referral. I will not be ignored any longer this feeling is ruining my life. Good luck with your diagnosis and thank you again
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Dear TM. May I suggest that you ask that you see another doctor as in my mind you have Bipolar Disorder. I can say this quite confidently as I have it myself and some of the things you have said you have done are almost a mirror image of myself when I have a Bipolar episode.  If I am on a high I spend money I don't have on clothes, shoes, etc. If I am on a low I don't want to get out of bed and at one point I even shut myself in the wardrobe!  My partner is still paying off the debts I ran up 2 years ago!. As for the medications you are taking. You need to ask your GP if you can try Lithium as it it one of the oldest and best respected medicines for this problem. (It also doesn't cost a lot!) I'm surprised that given what you told your GP he didn't suggest it as a trial rather than give you all those other drugs. Don't feel you are making a nuisance by wanting another GP or another opinion. It's your entitlement and GPs are there to do the best for their patients whatever their problems. Good Luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi there, thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply. I plan on asking for another referral and another review of my meds Next week. I just can't bare the thought of them refusing to give me a second opinion, I need to be strong and really lay it on about how I would like to proceed. I Will be sure to update on this thread. Fingers crossed. Thanks again

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

A quick update.. I asked for a second opinion and I am pleased to say I have an appointment next month with the psychiatrist. Will update again after the assessment. xoxo
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Not sure if any one will see this but, I had my assessment today and it turns out I am bipolar 2. My advice to anyone is.. If deep down you feel your diagnosis is wrong, ask for that second opinion. You are entitled to it, but then it's at their discretion to give it. But if you put a good enough case forward they will have not option. I was shot down by a locum Dr when trying to put forward my case for a second opinion, it shattered my confidence but he still put me forward. So even if you feel there is no hope..there is you just got to ask for it!!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up