post arthroscopy knee pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am new to the forum, recently had meniscus tear repair, cartilage smoothed and arthritis removed (I think) nearly 5 weeks ago. I injured myself in mid sept and have been off work since and not driving either. Firstly trying to repair the knee conservatively on my consultants advice and then I have been waiting for the surgery. I have been so lucky to have support from employer who want me back when I am better and not before but I feel very bad when I see how quickly some people heal. I am heavy which I am trying to address, so that won't be helping but I would appreciate knowing any of your thoughts. I am hobbling painfully around the house and use a crutch outside but can only walk slowly for a short time. I wish all of you who are in pain a speedy relief from it and thanks for listening.

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's no fun at all! I hope you start to feel better soon!
  • Posted

The recovery period after knee arthroscopy varies a lot from individual to individual, ranging from as little as 2 weeks to over 6 weeks. The pain and discomfort can take even longer to go away, but hold in there and maintain the suggested level of activity and physio. 
  • Posted

I had approx 3/4 of my meniscus removed and was told by my dr that I should be back to normal in about 2wks. This was 7/29 (day of surgery) considering that Im a 42yr old male truck driver I thought this would be great. Now, heres the problem...At first I was actually feeling somewhat better but over time things have seem to have gotten worse. I am in constant pain and honestly It feels like before my surgery.

I understand everyone is differant and healing times vary greatly. Sorry to be long winded but I feel that you should know what you could potentially be in for.

Good luck and god bless

• Posted

My surgery was 7/12 and it's been a nightmare since then. I'm still in pain. Can barely hobble around the house. Physio set me back as they pushed me way too hard and my doctor made me stop and not bear weight on the leg. I was skinny to begin with but have lost even more weight because I can't eat when I'm in pain or not active so now I look like a skeleton. I'm just depressed at this point. My summer was ruined as I tore it in June. I hope you feel better.

• Posted

I think once the swelling goes completely away you will feel better. I ended up getting a cortisone shot after 6 weeks cause of the pain and swelling. Two weeks later the swelling is gone and I can walk ok without a crutch and little pain. You may want to try the shot. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.