Post Banding Experience?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey, I've posted a couple of times about this, but now I feel I have a more clear idea of what's happening, even if I don't know the root just yet. Over the past few months, I had hemorrhoid banding for a prolapsed hemorrhoid (3 procedures, 2 bands each time). After the third procedure, the prolapsing seems to have stopped--finally!--but now I have a couple new problems:

1. I'm six weeks out from my last banding, and I've noticed a persistent rectal discharge. Probably noticed it 3-4 weeks after. It's very disconcerting. It's clear fluid, no feces, and over time it can make my butt feel very moist. I assume this is mucus but I have no idea. I try to wipe, but it builds up consistently over time.

2. While investigating the above issue, I developed my first ever thrombosed external hemorrhoid. No idea why. Perhaps it was because of my fidgeting, wiping, etc. from problem #1. It's taking it's sweet time to go away. I'm 2 weeks into it and while it no longer hurts, it's definitely still a lump on my anus. Hopefully it's shrinking.

My questions are:

Has anyone experienced a "wet anus" after getting hemorrhoid banding? Is it temporary? My doctor seems to think it's from my internal hemorrhoids that have not yet fully shrunken down and more treatment may be required to finally get them where they need to be. Does that seem right?

Searching the Internet only makes me more anxious. I begin to think I've done permanent damage to my rectum! But my doctor says this isn't possible since banding doesn't get near the muscular tissue. I certainly didn't think banding could have that result either. Surgery, maybe. But this should be considered a minor procedure, right?

I suppose the external hemorrhoid could be exacerbating the leakage issue, but I'm pretty sure I had it before the external showed up, so I don't know if that 100% tracks.

Anyone had an experience like this after banding? Did you find out what it was? Also, just curious to hear people's post banding experiences in general. Maybe I'm still healing?

Hopefully it'll resolve, either on its own, or with an additional banding. Till then, I'm kind of freaking out. Any advice or word of encouragement are welcome!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

sounds like you need it sorting i had a banding didnt bleed like you told it would do till ten weeks on and i started with a ulcer but i had to have surgery which im 5 weeks on still recovering i noticed i have small lump forming at the enterance to my rectum i see my surgeon net wednesday

• Posted

What do you think banding does? It kills a big chunk of your mucous skin, leaving a ulcerous hole, that will slowly heal into a scar. If you really believe nothing will leak from it while it heals...

Best is to ask doc show a pic of how it looks, so you get an idea where it might be.

• Posted

Yeah, I was just under the assumption that it would be all done by now. Maybe that's unrealistic. I'm probably 6-7 weeks from my last banding and still feel strange, uncomfortable. Hopefully it just needs time?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.