Post cholecystectomy problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

two years since surgery done as stones seen on ultrasound.  

Since then acid on swallowing, diarrhea after meals and nausea aome days.

symptoms seem to be worsening, dr gave omeprazole but feel sick although acid reflux gone.

not sure whether to go down route of ultrasound of liver and blood tests first, then endoscopy or to see gallbladder surgeon for his tests. GP is not sure.

need some input from others with similar experiences.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You probably have bile salt malabsorption.  There is medication to deal with this.  After your gallbladder is removed, bile drips constantly into your small intestine. In some people, the liver produces too much bile. xx
    • Posted

Do i need a test for bile salt malabsoption or can GP just prescribe something 
    • Posted

If you have it, your stools will be loose and surroounded by caustic yellow fluid, which is the bile.  The med is called cholestyramine.  Not many go's know about it.  I've been on it since 2009. xx

• Posted

I'm in the USA.  I do get acid reflux, and have taken an over the counter medication for it for about 12 or more years.  It's not related to my gallbladder disease.  But bile can back up from your small intestine into your stomach and cause acid reflux symptoms.  Bile is an acid. 

• Posted

Yes, i have heard of cholestyramine and i do have yellow acidy type stools floating, but sometimes its watery diarhhoea.  Then it has gone back to being a bit more normal cor a while, then back again.  Is this medication the one which can give constipation which i have heard from some people is a problem.

The acid in the top of the stomach comes with a cough and if i take otc gaviscon it doesnt help.

do you think it is a different type of acid?

• Posted

My prescription says to dissolve one packet in 4-6 oz of water and take it at bed time.  I dissolve 1 in 3 oz of water and 3 oz of juice and take it at bed time.  It's a resin, so it absorbs, or binds to the excess bile. It can constipate, but that usually happens if you take it 3 times a day, before meals.  It was originally developed to help remove some of the cholesterol people were eating, but it's heaven-sent for people with excess bile.  

I usually suggest people take it once in the evening for starters and if that doesn't solve the problem, take it once in the morning, too.  If you take any other medication, you need to take it 1 hour before you use the cholestyramine, because the cholestyramine will absorb the medication, too.

You need to take it consistently!  That's because it usually takes about 3 days for what you eat to work its way through your intestines--unless you're having diarrhea, of course.  When you have situations like this, what works needs to be done consistently.  And, I'd rather be slightly constipated rather than having to run to the toilet.  You have to find what works for you, and sometimes it does take time.

As for your stomach acid, because you have a cough, seems as if it is stomach acid.  But, you could see a gastroenterologist, as you might have something going on with your esophagus.  Those types of things need to be checked out sooner rather than later.  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.