Post gallbladder removal diarrea :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just a week out from surgery and yesterday & today just one bout of greenish diarrea about midday.

Is this normal? Been keeping my diet light- actual afraid to eat most things i used to...now more worried then ever.

Anybody had issues that cleared up?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Only a week then you will be free of that darn pain GB. if you are having green diereah call you dr. or talk with the nurse. What do you normally take for diereah! There are OTC meds that help immediately. I don't know all your health history so plz call your dr office.

I had mine removed and was happy to get rid of the pain caused by GB stones. It's such a nightmare getting thru all the issues. 

Good luck on your up coming surgery. Keep posting let us know how ur doing.

One day at a time. Relax and listen to music helped me thru the surgery. Where would we be without our media devices. 

• Posted

YES!! I didn't have a bowel movement for 3.5 days after surgery, then for the first 3-4 days it was yellow diarrhea. I took an immodium once (ironically - or not - on the last day I had diarrhea) and started taking a probiotic and it got better. Then it was between soft stools and harder stools (no middle ground but also not horrible for either extreme) for 2-3 weeks and now starting into week 5 they've become pretty much normal again.

After reading all of the stories online about diarrhea for YEARS after removal, I panicked too!! DO NOT be worried until it's much longer after your surgery (around the month mark or even longer for some). Your body needs to get used to not having a gallbladder. Do not be afraid to eat - just don't overdo it. Stay low fat - chicken, turkey, rice, potatoes, veggies (not ones that cause gas), low fat soups. Grilled cheese for some reason really made me feel better when I ate it. You can't NOT eat either - that's not good in general and doesn't help to bulk up your stool.

Drink plenty of liquids to replenish what you're losing too. It took me a good 2-3 weeks before I was confident and felt well enough to eat something CRAZY like butter on bread or some sour cream on potatos. I'm almost completely back to normal now 4 weeks post op. It definitely was one day at a time for me. Still feeling better every day. Good luck!!

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience - i will try not to panic smile don't mind cutting down on fat but hope i can still indulge once in a while someday!

• Posted

I had mine taken out in may. Best thing I ever did. I do understand the fear of eating. I was terrified but within a month I felt the best I had in years. Now I have no symptoms at all and can eat anything. I don't think I'll ever take food for granted. It feels great to be free! I'd say by the end of week two you'll start to feel better and it gets better every day after that. Diarrhea can be a side effect of gallbladder removal though so do keep an eye and go see your doctor if it doesn't settle down.

• Posted

The only thing I wanted to mention - it may seem depressing to think about having diarrhea for a long time, but there are medications to help if it continues for awhile. If it doesn't go away, talk to your doctor. There ARE things that help.

• Posted

Just had my first turkey dinner! Tried not to overdo but couldn't resist a little stuffing & gravy - fingers crossed i don't regret it!! Good luck to you all as we approach the season of food temptations!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.