Post gallbladder removal - sour belly

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I am 4 weeks post laparoscopic removal of gallbladder. Before it's removal I had acid reflux and spit belly which was controlled by zypan (low stomach acid enzyme). I was off Zypan and doing really well as far as acid reflux and sour belly goes until this past week. Now it seems to be getting worse by the day. I am not sure if it's a low stomach acid problem or a high acid problem. I know we are all different, but looking for some guidance. I know if I call Dr they'll put me on a PPI as that seems to be their answer for everything here in the states. Just looking for people who have had experience with acid reflux and a sour belly following gallbladder removal.

Any and all advice is welcome!!! Do things ever get and stay better??

Thanks in advance.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried to follow the GB diet after surgery it really makes a difference.

no fatty foods, junk foods just until the body adjusts. Acid reflux needs to be treated with meds. It has very little change or alternatives. 

Try sleeping head higher than knees, try don't eat after 8 PM. Stay away from spicy foods for awhile keep a food journal,of foods that cause acid reflux .

• Posted

Yes to all the above! I had company from out of town last weekend, I had french fries once that was over a week ago since then things have gone downhill. I eat a very clean and healthy diet every other day besides that one day last week, literally. How many weeks did you have to keep the diet low-fat/no fat following the surgery ?
    • Posted

I went several months eating only foods that didn't cause reflux. But in the end after giving the eat well and healthy foods the reflux just never got better went on RX drugs for a year then was able to get off then also my doc gave me RX for enzymes to help break up my foods after GB removal. 

• Posted

Hi Heather, sorry to hear that you're still having problems, I hope you can find some help on here and you can start to get better.

Keep us informed with your progress and take care x

• Posted

Thank you Katherine. I am thankful for hope4cure for responding. I was also hoping that other people who have had experience with ox bile and ppi's would chime in. I know there are a ton of people who have talked about them.

• Posted

Hey Heather,

I'm from the states as well.  I have had a history of bleeding duodenal ulcers that have caused me to be hospitalized in the past due to the amount of blood loss. Since the last time I have been on Pantoprazole since 2013. It has been 2 weeks from my Laparoscopic cholecystectomy and 4 days from my ERCP to correct a bile leak. I take my PPI daily and eat frequently with less volume.  However I've been eating mostly fruits, protein , and low/no fat.  The hardest thing is how my body is adjusting.  I find myself having intermittent indigestion/stomach aches.  As time goes on they are becoming infrequent as I eat more. I think the most important thing is to avoid foods that give you gas and be more questionable in foods that you eat.  My prayers go out to you and hope things get better.  Keep us updated on how you are doing.

• Posted

Bewell, thank you. Prayers for you too! I eat 6 times a day as well and eat very very plain. Quinoa, chicken, rice cakes, etc. every day. Other than that one day last week. Most people cringe because I eat so plain, no seasoning. Etc. I had to wait 7 months to have this surgery and lost weight I couldn't afford to lose. I have been exceedingly careful. Prior to this surgery I had burn but it was due to low acid, now I'm not so sure that the tables haven't completely turned. I have been trying to use the meds from before surgery since the symptoms started and again for 3 weeks I was totally symptom free. But I am thinking they are not the answe and possibly PPI is. Just hate pharmaceuticals!!

Hope you get to totally healed soon!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.