Post Gallbladder Surgery Stomach Pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I have my gallbladder removed 1 week and 5 days ago - I thought every thing was going well after a week and that I would go back to work after 2 weeks (this Friday) but for the last 2 days I've have awful stabbing pains about an inch under the belly button wound. I can't sit up straight for long - even hurts when sitting on the loo.

Is this normal? Painkillers doesn't stop it and it's keeping me awake at night. I feel like I did 3 days after the surgery!!

Any advice appreciated x

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

After any surgery expect niggles and pains as the body is healing, I have stabbing pains in the exact place where my gallbladder was, but areeasing up.
  • Posted

Hi 

there are aches and pains ..but stabbing pains  may be a sign of infection ..so keep an eye on the wound ..if it becomes very red and inflamed or green or yellow pus oozes ....go to your gp..they will just prescribe antibiotics to get rid of it . 

If it's not infected it's just healing although it's key hole surgery they have cut through your muscles and those muscles have to heal ....

just keep an eye on the wound take painkillers and lift nothing.. I took 6 weeks to stop aching and 3 months to get my core muscles back and energy back ... 

They have inflated your belly stuck instruments in and proper poked about inside ...because we are unconscious we see 3 or 4 tiny holes and think that's not much not realising all the internal stitches and bruising we have going on inside ..

dont worry but just be attentive to your wounds ...

• Posted

Hi, I had a lot of pain the second week after my gallbladder was removed, more than the first week. Now 6 weeks down the line I am pretty well pain free.I am back to doing most things but get a bit more tired at times. I think that perhaps there is an expectation of being totally better in too short a time which can be unhelpful.. I am definitely a senior citizen, fit for my age but! Good luck, Maggie

• Posted

Yes in some cases. You are healing. You must do NOTHING but rest! At least for 2 weeks then slowly start to do easy things. That is the best advice I can give you.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear and wish u a speedy recovery.

Always get checked.

I had two infections due to stitches not being very good did suffer stabbing pains but also was pussing green nasty stuff and was red round the area .

I did have some other odd pains at the lower scare I put it down to the internal stitches dissolving .

Hope u feel better soon have a good eork, make sure your fit before return to work and be mindful of your duties x

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies.

I guess I wasn't expecting to feel such pain after feeling so much better at the end of last week. The surgeon did say this wound would be sore as she has problems due to being overweight, but I thought it was ok because of the above and most of the wounds look very good from the outside.

I might go back to the doctors Friday as ask for another week off, although I have a desk job I don't think I can handle sitting there for 8 hrs with the pain.

• Posted

I went bk to early but work was good I had flexible start time within reason to get to work without rushing and ive got freedom to move around the office . But don't go bk before your ready x

• Posted

I'm now coming up to four weeks after surgery and my tummy hurts all the time .

I had huge tabbing pains in week two and went back to hospital and they said it was nerve damage and I'm on tablets for that and they have helped a lot x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.