post gaul bladder surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

post gaul bladder surgery  Hi all!  had my gaul bladder out 5  weeks come Friday, and still find that i  have very little appetite sometimes. Frightened to eat, because sometimes when i  do, i  get bloat and feel as though my bowels want to move.  living on toast and soup, when can i  start eating normally, and when do the bowels settle down?  I've no stones left in the bile duct as they were removed a  few days after the gaul bladder removal.  when i  was in hospital, they gave me normal food, and said i  could eat anything, but i'm so frightened as its such a  horrible feeling.  all i  want is to start living and eating normally.  Other than this i  am doing very well, and have no pain.  Please can someone help and get back to me.  Thanks Val.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Valerie. You should eat a low fat diet. No dairies, except skim milk. No fatty or spicey foods. Being bloated is normal or common since they fill our stomaches with air.

It will take time. I had my op Nov. 11 and felt fine by Dec. 8. But for some reason been in pain again since the 19.

Any questions just ask.

Lori

• Posted

Hi Lorrie!  Thanks so much for that, but i'm eating little enough, and don't like rich or spicy food. i  don't eat much dairy products, and any that i  do eat are as low fat as i  can get! At the moment i'm living on soup and toast.  Tried a  low fat meal this evening, and so far haven't had any bloat, or felt that my bowels needed to move!  How long did it take for the bloat feeling and that other feeling which i  have to disappear?  So sorry that your getting pain, and i  hope you can get it sorted out soon.  do let me know how you get on.  Val.
    • Posted

It will take time for the bloating to go away. The doctor gave me stool softerners and by the first Saturday I had a powel movement. I also take miralax because I have ibs.

I was living on jello for a few days after surgery. Drink lots of water and walk around your house. Don't lift stuff. For me bending was hard, getting up and down from sitting was hard.

Are you icing the area? Ice packs help. The bloat feeling just takes time. I know its no fun. I had good days and then bad days. Everybody is different.

I have know clue why I started hurting again, I'm going in to get checked today. I have been on the low fat diet since my doctor told me I had gall stones back in Oct.and my surgeon told me to stay on it for two months after surgery. I have lost over 20 pounds, which I'm happy for.

Otherwise the bloating, what are you feeling. My arms were weak at first. I napped a lot.

I really hope you have a short recovery but don't exspect it. Most people I have talked too have said two months or more.

Lori

• Posted

Hi Lorrie!  feel ok at the start of the day, but as it goes on i  start to flag and have to have a  nap.  bowels are moving, but sometimes i  feel as though i  want to go but don't!  sometimes i  get pain in the upper back which i  used to get when i  had the gaul stones but nothing like that!  have lost over 6  stones in just a  year and a  half, and am now down to a  size 12.  a  lot of weight to lose in such a  short time, so i  really have to try to eat, but hate that bloated feeling.  I  also get a  lot of flatulance, and feel as though i  want to birp but can't.  So sorry you've got ibs as my friend has that, and i  think you've got enough to cope with.  Let me know how you get on with your surgeon.  Keep smiling, and good luck.   Val.
    • Posted

My surgeon said I'm fine. He said when we think and feel 100% it is still easy to pull the muscles and over do it. So I just need to slow down again.

I came down with ibs in high school but wasn't told I had ibs until college. I had lost a lot of weight then.

The bloating hurts I know. I learned to purp in high school to release to pressure. When you feel you need to pee bend down a little, it helps to go. Learned that trick when I was pregnant with my daughter.

You got to find something to eat. Have you tried mashed potatoes and gravy. I leaved on that after my op otherwise jello. Then I added chicken, fish, turkey. I coudnt eat veggies for awhile.

Try broth. Something soothing. Wish I was a size 12. Haven't been that skinny in years. Last years been 18-20.

If you still have trouble eating call or see your doctor. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. It will be hard but try to have fun.

Keep me updated.

Lori

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up