Post Greenlight Surgery for BPH

Posted , 8 users are following.

Had Greenlight 3 days ago, and  the urologist told me to keep the foley in until Monday . But when I wake up in the morning only after 4 hours sleep there is 1800ml of urine. What I want to know if the foley was not there to collect it, would this mean I would be waking up every hours to urinate. Normally without this BPH, a man holds in his urine all night and voids in the morning. But no void 2000ml in the morning. Does this mean I will be a bedwetter and wear depends. I like lifting weight, when can I go back.?

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No Mark it does not mean that. I had my Focal Laser Ablation 12-19-16. Had the catherter for 6 days. Took it out my self and no big deal nothing to it as I deflated the ball and pull one little tug and then p*ssed it out of me in the shower. Nothing. 

I had a few nights were my volume while on the Foley was like 1600 to 1800 over night. Great thing was I slept all night with that Foley. Before the procedure I was up about 8 times a night and went 75cc to 150cc, After the Cath came out it was only that much during the day and 200 to 250 at night I was up 3 to 5 times for the first say, 10days.Then a week ago Thursday it all turned around. Boom! I was better over night in every way. I slept all night or got up only once since then and I now pee 500cc at night if I do get up. It is really fun to watch so i usually get up once to watch it about 2:30 am. During the day I am only going 3 to 4 time all day from 7 am until 10 pm bedtime. No more Urgency. Had sex 2 times in the last week and no blood in the ejaculate.

The FLA procedure has given me back my life as it was 20 years ago in 3 weeks. My prostate was 125cc insize and I had BPH for at least 8 years.

My Interventional Radiologist who did this procedure says it will continue to get better for the next 3 months. This doctor called me every night for two weeks to check on my progress. He would call after work when he was finished doing FLA procedures for prostate cancer treatment. This guy is unbelievable with his coaching and support. 

Stop worring Mark and let all settle down. Dont take that foley out to quick. the  inflamation will go down and you will get better fast. If you have urgency or burning when you pee or if you are now having any bladder spasms then get an RX from him for URIBEL. It will stop it all and is a real life saver in these procedures.

Good Luck. John

• Posted

What is FLA? and what specific procedure did you have?
    • Posted

Oh I see focal laser ablation. I wonder why the urologist I went to, did not mention it. What part of the U.S did you have this done at?
    • Posted

Mark, Focal Laser Ablation is the procedrue that has been done for many years for prostate Cancer (PCa). It is for PCa that is  7 or less gleason score. It is done my Interventional Radiologist and it is done with a hair size diameter Laser needle that is guided my a computer and a 3 Tesla MRI which is the best on the market right now. The IR has real time eyes on the procedure as it happens. The procedure is typically mapped out and focused  on the specific lesion when done. This allow for a procedure that has few if any side effects. No to little blood, very safe, allow for any other procedure later after FLA if needed, long lasting benefits, NO sexual side effects. It is done fast and then you go home. In the process of doing thousands of FLA procedures to PCa, it became very apparent that the use of FLA in the removeal of tissue in the Transitional Zone of the prostate alleviated BPH in most patients using the procedure. 

To answer you question directly, urologist who almost 100% men go to, do not first have the ability to do this procedure. Second, it is competion to what ever procedure they are selling. They are not very knowledgable at all about the process and they are scared it will get traction in their market place. It is not barbaric like the process they will sell you and it deliever much faster better and longer lasting results. it is new only in the fact that it has not been labled as a BPH treatment by the market place. Insurance will not pay for it as the urology lobbing against it with the insurance compnanies has won the battle currently. I am 65 and I still work full job. I am on Medicare and I paid for my treatment out of my pocket 28 days ago. My results so far are better than I imagined I could have with this or any procedure. If you have interest and want to know who to call, I would highly recomend you call Dr. Ara Karman ian in houston and you can look that up for the number or I will pm it to you in a minute. he will discuss any of this and you situation with you and he will not charge you. Many on this site have used him and he is the absolute best in my opinion. 

I have another poste location you can look up to read at

"Going with Focal Laser Ablation for BPH" on this web site. I have put other information there and on the other FLA threads of this site. 

John

• Posted

I forgot to tell you It was done in the Houston tx area. I forgot to tell you it is not done in the urethra it is done in the prostate entering through the rectum You have no urethra damage. You have no retrograde. My ejaculation has increased more that twice in volume as I had before FLA. Doctor says over next 60 days it will just get better. I personal messaged you the information. 
  • Posted

Forgot to tell you Uribel turns you pee a real pretty blue color while you are taking it but stops the color right away when you stop.
  • Posted

Sorry Mark, my first response got moderated. We never know about this site, sometimes it just blocks us. They will read it and let it go Maybe by Monday but basically I said stop worring it will get better and your Foley volume is not strange or concerning. Get a drug called Uribel for stinging or bladder spasms or for any discomfort during the cath or after you take it out. 
  • Posted

Mark, I had Greenlight lazer 3-1/2 months ago. Out patient. Like you had foley cath in from Wed to Monday when I went back to URO to have it removed. Went home and about 3 to 4 hours later I had an urgent need to urinate. Lucky for me I thought ahead and had Depends guards because I didn't quite make it. Was pretty urgent for a while. Stayed around home for several weeks with just short trips.

Just had a little stinging when peeing around the 2nd week then went away.

I had no pain after surgery and went right home.

During the day when I still had the cath in I was always emptying the leg bag.

At night with the big bag sometimes I would have 1700 ml in the morning.

I then started drinking less water in the evening . That helped. I didn't have any blood to speak of after surgery or after the cath was removed. Now 3/1/2 weeks later with some pills to help my bladder relax I am almost back to normal.

I go back for another checkup in 2 weeks for a bladder scan to make sure my bladder is emptying completely.

Back in August I had a UTI with severe sepsis and was in hospital because or retention. Was self cathing 3 times a day then they did a scope and seen my prostate had uretha completely closed off. A few weeks later I got a serious bladder infection and was back In hospital and they upped the surgery to the next week. The hardest part was not doing anything for several weeks. I am a self employed contractor semi retired. I can't stand sitting around.

Lucky I have no retro ejaculation

I am 63 and will be 64 in 2 months.

• Posted

My story was different. I always had urinary retention but would not listen to urologist and get Greenlight. I used to weightlift alot, very vigorous and time consuming routines. I mean in. While than while doing some Farmer walks with 45 pound dumbells, I fell and hurt my knee, it was so swollen I had to rest in bed for 10days, sleeping, the pain was intense, did not take pills though. Than I could not go to bathroom, not urinate , I mean defecate, and I was very weak and had trouble walking up the stairs, So my doctor treating me for constipation. After 2 weeks they discovered my kidneys were building up poison inside because the urine could not get out. at ER I was catherized and 3 1/2 liters of urine came out. than more 7 1/2 more liters in 2 days. Than my weight dropped from 182 to 165 in 5 days. Then they scheduled the greenlight it was done last Thursday and I am waiting for catheter removal. Thank you for the advice,
    • Posted

Mark, you were worse than I was and I had severe sepsis. The ER doc said good thing I didn't wait another day. I could of went into septic shock and had organ failure. As it was my kidneys hurt me for awhile after I went home and they checked them and said they wasn't damaged. Still hurt and had a hard time getting to sleep. Now I won't think twice about going to the ER. Saved me twice.

Keep us posted on your progress. My URO has done around a thousand Greenlight procedures. Didn't touch anything important.

Good luck

• Posted

Vaughn  You are lucky.  I wish you a long and happy life and good healing  Ken
    • Posted

I am worried because when I was in the ER after I was in near kidney failure before catherization, I lost about 10 liters in water in 2 days, so I lost 10 pounds. My doctor says it was water.  My doctor said after greenlight there is nothing to biopsy because it is all burnt away by the laser beam, but my question remains how do you know that there are no cancerous cells left in some parts of the prostate even after greenlight. Urologist did 2 previous biopsies and said no. But how can you be sure it is not in a different part of prostate?
    • Posted

My potassium level was so high the doctor said I could have had a heart attack. When I had my constipation and intermittent urination, I asked the M.D to take a blood test, but he kept on saying just continue with your Milk of Magnesia. I finally insisted and he did and found out what the problem was.
    • Posted

Mark  Like Jim said give yourself some time to heal.  You just had the procedure.  Relax a little  Take care  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.