Post hip replacement questions

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello this question is actually as me as a caregiver for my boyfriend who just had a total hip replacement with six weeks limited weight-bearing due to severity of his condition 17 days ago he had this replacement yesterday when I went to the store I came back to find out he walked over 100 ft full weight-bearing without his walker asking your advice on how damaging is this to the area of surgery where the total hip replacement is? He's had physical therapy his medications properly taken and fed very well. Please advise it is Sunday his doctors are not there and I sure could use some support from somebody that's been here in my situation

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Did he have anterior surgery or posterior? Everyone is different, some anterior people walk right away without aids. Posterior surgery is more recovery. They had me walking g that much barley using a walker at all in the first few days. I then had a big swelling of leg setback. I would highly advise laying in bed a bunch with leg above heart level and ice in the first week to minimize a chance of internal bleeding like happened to me. Definitely don't go in a car and and bounce down the road. This can cause issues. I'm sure he's fine if all feels well but just don't push it. He needs to rest and heel. Good luck

• Posted

I would say that either he genuinely forgot his surgeons instructions or he has decided it would be good to have to go back in and have a revision.

They don't tell you to have limited weight bearing for the fun of it, its so the hip prosthetic has time to begin bedding in, if you walk on it because there's been a problem you risk breaking the support from the bone.

Rest ice and use crutches or walker depending what he's been told

• Posted

Will all be OK as long as he did not fall over the crutches are to keep you up, but don't do too much too soon little and often is the key, exercise in bed, and get out every two hours, once the dressing is off it gets easier...

• Posted

First of all as his caregiver I would givery him an earful. His condition was very severe and he has been given the opportunity of having a very expensive surgery to solve his problem. Whilst he must be very frustrated having limited mobility instructions he risks the chance of not only undoing the work done but at worst put himself in an even worse position and at best actually delay his healing. You must be frustrated too and he's being unfair to you as you obviously care so much.

I would agree with Chuck. He now needs to lay up and rest a bit. If he isn't feeling any repercussions in a day or so you can't alter the past now and he should feel lucky this time. If there are any problems then a visit to Dr might be in order.

Why not let him see this forum and look at how many people are having problems even though they've followed instructions. He needs to be careful.

As for you try not to worry too much if he's having no adverse symptoms. These prosthesis are very strong but we follow instructions just to be on the safe side. He won't like his discussion with the surgeon if he does do any damage !!!!

Sandra x

• Posted

Good job Sandra! I agree with you. Have him read a few post on here like mine! Joann I'm 40 and a pretty fit contractor guy. I came home and felt great and was only told walking is best so I walked a lot! And then had bleeding issues. That was three weeks ago. And now I am at pt just trying to get the hematoma out of my thi and knee. And my knee will barley bend. Stay in bed! Up high and ice!

• Posted

I would just say that he has been very foolish and has potentially cost the health service a lot of wasted money that could better have been used on someone else.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

"...I came back to find out he walked over 100 ft full weight-bearing .."

Hi Joann-

Well, there are degrees and intents of "limited" weight bearing. First thing, find out the exact phrasing used by the surgeon, e.g. "non", "touch down", x%, x pounds, "as tolerated", etc..  Then, make a discreet inquiry to the physical therapist regarding some (hypothetical, of course) short-circuiting of the doctor's orders regarding holding off on full weight-bearing. Could be a precautionary measure, designed to lessen the patient's discomfort when internal tissues get inflamed from overwork. In which case, no harm, no foul. More ominously, the doctor knows from experience that a full stride, full weight, excursion could exceed some mechanical strength limit. Down you go.

I would say, don't push the panic button just yet. If your boyfriend is not pleading for pain medication, he is probably OK. Bored, to be sure. Maybe get him outside a bit, do some light assisted walking in the park or something.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Joann,

I had the Anterio-lateral Approach done and was walking without aids within the first week.  My surgeon was thrilled that I was doing so well.  That was over a year ago and from what I can tell am completely recovered with no pain or limitations. 

After 17 days, your boyfriend should be fine.

Best wishes!

• Posted

Different surgeons use different methods and give different restrictions. They are the experts not us so it is important that we follow surgeons advice not look to how well others are doing and what methods they use. We all have a different story to tell.
    • Posted

I am glad you have said that, I think if we are told the restrictions need to be in place by our consultant then I agree, he/she are the expert's otherwise why do we allow them to operate, we could just as easily get Fred Bloggs to do it cause he had one smile

• Posted

Morning Joann.   I had to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks and no hip exercises or or hip flexion past 80 degrees.  I dislocated my first anterior hip replacement and had to have a total hip revision.   Was your boyfriend in pain after he walked?   Was he having difficulty walking when he did?  Like limping?   I don't think he did any real damage. Dr probably wanted bone to grow into new hip as mine did and that usually takes about 6 weeks.  I accidentally put weight on my leg was all scared but didn't do any harm.   Will he be going to dr today?   Wishing him all the best for a speedy recovery and healing.    God's blessings to you both.   Hugs 🤗 Linda. Let us know how he's doing. 

• Posted

Joann

I think he was rather foolish but if it isn't very painful now ne MAY have got away with it. He'll find out when he goes back for his 6 week appointment.

If he has pushed the stem into the femur or moved the cup he could end up needing a revision or having to live with a semi-functioning hip.

Others have replied that after some surgery you can walk on it immediately. That is true, my wife was walking without a stick within a week. But her surgeon had told her that would be ok!! If his said otherwise it would have been for a reason!

Hope it turns out OK though.

Mike

• Posted

hi joann, 

checking with you ...

I hope all is well and no harm done --- of course there is a reason why he is limited weight bearing - His surgery might have been more complicated than a straight hip replacement -

Is he using crutches too or just a walker ? 

Let us know how he is getting on and come here anytime okay ... good idea from fellow member to have him joining this forum ...

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.