Post lap choly two years nausea and diarrhoea

Posted , 5 users are following.

i thought this op would cure me.  Unfortunately not. The nausea is there on waking each morning and the diarrhoea some days too.  I have a very light fat free diet and wonder if i should get gp to give me something to help.  Its really affecting my life

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Very sorry to hear you have had these awful problems for so long. Have you been back to your gp and ask to be referred. Did you have the nausea before the gallbladder opp ?   I am waiting to have my gallbladder removed but quite terrified I will end up worse off.
    • Posted

Thanks for reply.  You will be ok, its only a percentage get problems. I have nine acquaintances had this op and they are all ok.

gp says my nausea/d is due to chronic anxiety about it all.  Wont send me for testing till she disproves that.

• Posted

Hi Ann,

The nausea could be due to having bile back up into your stomach over night, so I don't know how your gp can prove or disprove that. (She sounds stubborn.)  And, there is a drug you can take  daily to stop the diarrhea, which needs to be prescribed.  I think you can tell her to refer you or you'll complain.

Let me know if it's okay to private message you and I'll send you the name. xx  

• Posted

Yes happy for private message. Would the med stop the nausea too?  Today i am constipated! Dont know what next
    • Posted

I’d definitely push for a second opinion on the nausea/diarrhoea being caused by anxiety! My nausea before the op was definitely caused by the gallbladder. Any diarrhoea after my op has been antibiotic related. 

They do say people can end up with diarrhoea due to the bile constantly dripping through now. This can sometimes be helped by eating more fibre in your diet (or so I’ve been told). Would definitely be worthwhile trying anti-diarrhoea tablets to see if they help. There are some like Imodium you can buy over the counter to try. Although there are cheaper versions you can buy or get a higher amount on prescription as can get very costly!

Really hope you can maybe see a different GP about this. Is this GP normally really good? xx

• Posted

Yes, shes been my gp for 30 years. She doesnt want me to take immodium regularly as she says its not a good idea, only emergencies.

she is reluctant to send me for invasive tests yet.  Normally shes quite good and doesnt jump the gun but says i probably had gallbladder out too quickly as imwas seeing locum at the time and she would have waited perhaps as imhad only a few symptoms and nothing like this.  Scan showed some stones so i just had op.

• Posted

Thats a typical gp get out to blame it on anxiety.  So you have had your gallbladder removed which is part of your digestive system and your nausea/d is anxiety.

Wish you all the best Ann 

• Posted

Not sure how she’s going to disprove that it’s related to anxiety though? 

I understand not wanting to send you for invasive tests BUT this has clearly been going on for a long time now.

Have you been given any meds’ for anxiety? Or CBT offered? Just thinking if you’re on any meds for these could these possibly be causing any side effects? 

Also, a lot of people seem to get reflux after surgery. Is that a possibility? Just trying to think of all the reasons you may be feeling so crappy. 

Really hope your GP gets to the root of the issue soon so you can get your life back on track xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.